As a result of the current Federal government funding situation, the information on this website may not be up to date or acted upon. Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at www.opm.gov . Despite the lapse in appropriations, IHS will continue to provide direct clinical health care services as well as referrals for contracted services that cannot be provided through IHS clinics. For more information on how IHS is impacted, visit: HHS Contingency Plan
Stay healthy by not using commercial tobacco products and be a positive role model for your loved ones, family, and community.
Benefits of Not Smoking
- Money in your pocket from not buying commercial tobacco products
- Positive role model for your loved ones
- No exposure to secondary smoke
- No tobacco breath
If you are currently using tobacco products, there are many benefits of quitting. If you are a smoker, quitting will reduce your chance of having:
- Cancer of the lungs, throat, mouth, lips, gums, bladder and kidney
- Heart disease, hardening of the arteries, and stroke
- Emphysema and other lung diseases
- Circulation problems.
If you have children, your quitting can lower their risk from second hand smoke of:
- Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS) - (cot death)
- Ear infections
- Bronchitis and other lung problems.
Do you know about third hand tobacco smoke?
Third hand tobacco smoke remains in clothes, hair, and surroundings after a cigarette is extinguished. The chemicals in tobacco smoke are found in clothes, walls, ceilings, curtains and skin of smokers. When they touch another person or hug a child, those toxins are transferred to them.
Ready to Quit?
If you currently smoke and are ready to quit, please contact your local IHS or Tribal Clinic or call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669).