Personnel Delegation #9
Director of Headquarters Operations
Office of Administration and Management
|Subject:||Delegations of Authority to Approve Details of Civil Service Personnel Under the Public Health Service Act|
Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director, Indian Service (IHS), by the Reorganization Order of January 4, 1988, and in accordance with authority delegated by the Director, Office of Management, on November 15, 1983, to the PHS Agency Heads, and redelegated to the Director of Headquarters Operations by the Director, IHS, on September 21, 1989, I hereby delegate to the Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management, for personnel in IHS Headquarters, the authority to:
- Approve the detail, under section 214(a) of the PHS Act (42 U.S.C. 215(a)), of civil service personnel to other Executive Departments and agencies;
- Approve the detail, under section 214(b) of the PHS Act, (42 U.S.C. 215(b)), of civil service personnel to a State or political subdivision thereof;
- Approve the detail, under section 214(c) of the PHS Act (42 U.S.C. 215(c)), of civil service personnel to a nonprofit educational, research, or other institution engaged in health activities; and
- Approve leave without pay, under section 214(d) of the PHS Act (42 U.S.C. 215(d)), for civil service personnel assigned under sections 214(b) and (c) of the PHS Act,(42 U.S.C. 215(b) and (c)).
AUTHORITY TO REDELEGATE
These authorities may not be redelegated
RETENTION OF AUTHORITY
The Assistant Secretary for Personnel Administration (ASPER) retains the authority to:
- Approve the detail, under section 214(a) of the PHS Act (42 U.S.C. 215(a)), of civil service personnel to the Executive Office of the President;
- Approve the detail, under section 214(c) of the PHS Act (42 U.S.C. 215(c)), of civil Service personnel to a committee of Congress; and
- Approve any nonreimbursable or partially reimbursable detail under section 214 of the PHS Act (42 U.S.C. 215), for a period of more than 30 days.
The authority retained in paragraph c, above is exercised within the office of the ASPER by the Director, Office of Human Resources Programs, formerly the Office of Personnel Policy and Communications.
Whenever a detail under the authority delegated or retained above involves the reduction of grant funds to cover the cost of the detail, the arrangement must also be approved by an official authorized to make such a reduction.
This delegation does not include the authority to detail PHS Commissioned Corps Officers under the PHS Act, which is covered in Part III of the Commissioned Corps Personnel Manual.
Requirements and instructions for exercising the authorities delegated herein are contained in the Department of Health and Human Services Personnel Instruction 300-3
This delegation supersedes Exhibit 1-5.2F-15, Subject: Personnel Instruction 250-13A: Authority to Approve Details Under Section 214 of the PHS Act (42 U.S.C. 215) Indian Health Manual, Part 1, Chapter 5, Delegations of Authority, TN 85.2 dated January 4, 1985.
This delegation is effective upon date of signature.
Robert A. Marsland
Assistant Surgeon General
Back To Top | Previous Page