Personnel Delegation #36
NOV 2 1995
Acting Director of Headquarters Operations
|SUBJECT:||Delegation of Authority to Approve and Acquire Training|
Authority Delegated and to Whom
- Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director of Headquarters Operations by the Director, Indian Health Service (IHS), on NOV 2 1995, I hereby delegate to the Area Directors for employees within their respective Area Offices, including members of the Senior Executive Service the authority to :
- approve training; and
- acquire training,
- Approval authority is the authority to provide employees with training as a means of enhancing individual or group performance which contributes to the organization's mission. Approval authority includes the authority to assess training needs; select employees for training; manage and provide training within the provisions of 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) Chapter 41; ensure that the training conforms to relevant laws, regulations, requirements; and Department and component and assess the effectiveness of training.
- Acquisition authority is the authority to approve off-the-shelf training for individual employees or groups of employees under the authority of the Government Employees Training Act.
- Off-the-shelf Training is training with standard features and costs established in catalogs or other printed material available to the general public, or training offered by an individual consultant or firm where standard features and costs are established based on past practices, costs of off-the-shelf training do not include employee travel or development of training material.
- The Assistant Secretary for Personnel Administration (ASPER) retains the authority to approve and acquire Department-wide training which is managed by the Office of the ASPER.
- The authority to approve, IHS-wide, training which is 120 days or longer is retained by the Director, IHS.
- The dollar limits and guidelines for "micro purchases" established by the Office of Management and Budget apply to training acquired under this authority.
- The authority delegated in paragraphs la. and b. above may be redelegated with further redelegation authorized to officials with the knowledge of relevant laws, regulations, and Department and agency requirements related to training.
Information and Guidance
- Requirements and instructions for exercising these, authorities are contained in 5 UCS Chapter 41, 5 Code of Federal Regulations 410, Health and Human Services Personnel Instruction 410-1, and Public Health Service Circular 410-1, Approving and Acquiring Training.
- This delegation supersedes the Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the DHO to the Area Directors, Subject: Delegation of Authority to Approve Training, dated March 20, 1991.
- To the extent that they are consistent with this delegation, existing redelegations of the authorities to approve and acquire training made by the addressees may remain in effect until superseded by new redelegations.