Personnel Delegation #44
FEB 12 1996
Office of Health Program Research and Development
Acting Director of Headquarters Operations
|SUBJECT:||Delegation of Authority for Approval of Reduction in Force and Furlough|
Authority Delegated and to Whom
- Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director of Headquarters Objurgations, Indian Health Service (IHS), by the Director, IHS, on FEB 7 1996, I hereby delegate to the Area Directors, for organization under the jurisdiction of the Area Offices, and the the Associate Director, Office of Health Program Research and Development (OHPRD), for organizations under the jurisdiction of OHPRD, the following authorities:
- To approve Reduction in Force (RIFs)
- To approve furloughs
- The above authorities may not be redelegated.
- In cases of furloughs, or RIFS involving separation of employees, written notification of the proposed action must be received by the Director, Division of Personnel Management (DPH), Office of Human Resources (ORR), at least 30 days before specific notices are issued. Such notices should include at a minimum:
- The location(s) where the actions will be taken;
- The number of employees affected;
- The number of employees who will be separated, if applicable; and
- A brief description of the reason for the RIF or furlough.
- No prior approval is required to effect personnel actions resulting from transfers of function. However, when the transfers involve the movement of employees to other commuting areas, the Director, DPH, OHR, must be notified in writing at least 30 days before transfer offers are made to employees. Such notice should Include:
- The number of employees affected; and
- A brief description of the reason for the transfer.
- Requirements and instructions for exercising this authority are contained in Health and Human Services Personnel Instruction 351-1, Reduction in Force (RIF), dated October 25, 1995, and must be used in conjunction with subsequent HHS instructions, related materials issued by the Office of Personnel Management, 5 Code of Federal Regulations Part 351, and any other requirements and regulations issued for employees entitled to Indian Preference.
- This delegation is effective upon date of signature.
/Luana L. Reyes/
Back To Top | Previous Page