Personnel Delegation #44
FEB 12 1996
Associate Director Office of Human Resources
Acting Director of Headquarters Operations
|SUBJECT:||Delegation of Authority for Approval of Reduction in Force, Furlough, and Changes to Competitive Areas|
Authority Delegated and to Whom
- Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director of Headquarters Operations, IHS, on Indian Health Service (IHS), by the Director, IHS, on FEB 7 1996, I hereby delegate to the Associate Director, Office of Human Resources (OHR), for IHS Headquarters organizations, except the Office of Health Program Research and Development, the following authorities:
- To approve Reduction in Force (RIFs)
- To approve furloughs
- To make changes in competitive areas for positions in the IHS.
- The above authorities may be redelegated to the Director, Division of Personnel Management (DHR), without authority for further redelegation.
- In cases of furloughs, or RIFs involving separation of employees, written notification of the proposed action must be received by the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Human Resources(DASHR) before specific notices are issued.
- No prior approval is required to effect personnel actions resulting from transfers of function. However, when the transfers involve the movement of employees to other commuting areas, the DASHR must be notified in writing before transfer offers are made to employees.
- Written notification of the proposed actions of 3. and 4. above must be submitted to the DASHR by the Director, DPM, DHR, before specific notices are issued.
- Requirements and Instructions for exercising this authority are contained in Health and Human Services (HHS) Personnel Instruction 351-1, Reduction in Force (RIF), dated October 25, 1995 and must be used in conjunction with subsequent HHS instructions, related materials issued by the Part 351, and any other requirements and regulations issued for employees entitled to Indian Preference.