Personnel Delegation #47
JUL 18 1995
Office of Human Resources
Acting Director of Headquarters Operations
|SUBJECT:||Delegation of Authority for Performance Appraisal Provisions Under the Performance Management System|
Authority Delegated To Whom
- Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director of Headquarters Operations by the Director, Indian Health Associate Director, Office of Human Resources, for employees within IHS Headquarters, the authority to determine whether temporary employees may be permitted to serve without a performance evaluation in accordance with the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 4301, and 5 CFR 430.202(b)(2).
Redelegation and Restrictions
- The Assistant Secretary for Personnel Administration (ASPER) reaffirmed the following delegations:
- To immediate supervisors, through the officials in the supervisory line above them, the authorities of an appraising official as set forth in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Instruction 430-4 for employees under their supervision.
- To second line supervisors, through the officials in the supervisory line above them, the authorities of a reviewing official as set forth in HHS Instruction 430-4 for employees uinder their supervision. This includes the authority to finalize ratings of record except as indicated in paragraph c. below. However, there is no requirement for a reviewing official in any instances in which the Director, IHS, is the appraising official.
- To officials with the responsibility for managing performance awards budgets, the authority to finalize ratings of record when awards are proposed based on the rating of record. (Within-grade increase determinations are not awards for the purpose of this delegation.)
- The ASPER retains the authority to:
- Establish Departmentwide requirements for performance appraisal systems.
- Approve exceptions to the Department's requirements, contingent upon subsequent approval by United States Office of Personnel Management where required.
- The authority delegated in paragraphs 1. above may be redelegated with further redelegation authorized.
Information and Guidance
- Requirements and instructions for exercising this authority are contained in 5 USC Chapter 43, 5 CFR Part 430, the HHS Performance Management Plan, and HHS and PHS Personnel Instructions 430-4.
- This delegation supersedes the following delegations of authority memoranda as indicated:
- Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the DHO to the Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management, Subject: Delegation of Authority for Planning and Appraising the Performance of Employees Covered by the Performance Management and Recognition System, dated June 17, 1992.
- Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the DHO to the Performance Recognition Group Managers, Subject: Delegation of Authority for Performance Awards Under the Performance Management and Recognition System, dated April 9, 1992.
- Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the DHO to the Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management, Subject: Delegation of Authority for Performance Appraisal Provisions Under the Employee Performance Management System, dated September 14, 1992.