Personnel Delegation #47
JUL 17 1995
Acting Director of Headquarters Operations
|SUBJECT:||Delegation of Authority for Performance Appraisal Provisions Under the Performance Management System|
Authority and Delegated and To Whom
- Pursuant to the authority delegated to the Director of Headquarters Operations by the Director, Indian Health Service (IHS), on JUL 17 1995 , I hereby delegate to the Area Directors, for employees within their Areas, the authority to determine whether temporary employees may be permitted to serve without a performance evaluation in accordance with the provisions of 5 U.S.C. 4301, and 5 CFR 430.202(b)(2).
Redelegations and Restrictions
- The Assistant Secretary for Personnel Administration (ASPER) reaffirmed the following delegations:
- To immediate Supervisors, through the officials in the supervisory line above them, the authorities of an appraising official as set forth in the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Instruction 430-4 for employees under their supervision.
- To second line supervisors, through the officials in the Supervisory line above them, the authorities of a reviewing official as set forth in HHS Instruction 430-4 for employees under their supervision. This includes the authority to finalize ratings of record except as indicated in paragraphs c. below However, there is no requirement for a reviewing official in any instance in which the Director, IHS, is the appraising official.
- To officials with the responsibility for managing performance awards budgets, the authority to finalize ratings of record when awards are proposed based on the rating of record. (Within-grade increase determinations are not awards for the purpose of this delegation.)
- The ASPER retains the authority to:
- Establish Departmentwide requirements for performance appraisal systems.
- Approve exceptions to the Departments requirements, contingent upon subsequent approval by United States Office of Personnel Management where required.
- The authority delegated in paragraphs 1. above may be redelegated with further redelegation authorized.
Information and Guidance
- Requirements and instructions for exercising this authority are contained in 5 U.S.C. Chapter 43, 5 CFR Part 430, the HRS Performance Management Plan, and HHS and PHS Personnel Instructions 430-4.
- This delegation supersedes the following delegations of authority memorandum as indicated:
- Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the DHO to the Associate Director, office of Administration and Management, to the Area Directors, Subject: Delegation of Authority for planning and Appraisal the Performance of Employees Covered by the Performance Management and recognition System, dated June 17, 1992.
- Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the DHO to the Performance Recognition Group Managers, Subject: Delegation of Authority for Performance Awards Under the Performance Management and Recognition System, dated April 9, 1992.
- Delegation of Authority Memorandum from the Associate Director, Office of Administration and Management, to the Area Directors, Subject: Delegation of Authority for Performance Appraisal Provisions Under the Employee Performance Management System, dated February 8, 1993.
- This delegation is effective upon date of signature.
/Luana L. Reyes/
Back To Top | Previous Page