The Office of Information Technology (OIT) leads the management of information technology (IT) in the Indian Health Service (IHS). IHS uses secure IT to improve health care quality, enhance access to specialty care, reduce medical errors, and modernize administrative functions consistent with the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) enterprise initiatives.
The IHS IT infrastructure includes people, computers, communications, and security that support every aspect of the IHS mission. IT infrastructure incorporates government and industry standards for the collection, processing, storage, and transmission of information.
The Office of Information Technology is:
- Managed as a strategic investment
- Fully integrated with the agency's programs
- Critical to improving service delivery across the Indian health care system
The Mission: To provide a highly reliable and efficient health information system to support the delivery of health care to the American Indian and Alaska Natives that IHS serves.
The Vision: To meet customer needs by providing excellent, reliable, interoperable health information services that protect privacy while connecting patients, providers, and payers, enabling improved patient outcomes and controlled costs in support of the IHS mission.
- Mitchell Thornbrugh [PDF - 56 KB] , Chief Information Officer and Director, OIT
- CDR Andrea Scott, Deputy Chief Information Officer and Deputy Director, OIT
- Dr. Susy Postal, Chief Health Informatics Officer
- Jeanette Kompkoff, Director, Division of Information Technology
- Paul Kundtz, Director, Division of Information Technology Operations
- Benjamin Koshy, Acting Director, Division of Information Security
- Phillip Wise, Director, Division of Program Management and Budget
- CDR Andrea Scott, Acting Program and Investment Manager, Health IT Systems and Support (HITSS)
- Vanessa Weaver, Investment Manager, National Patient Information Reporting System
- Kathryn Lewis, Investment Manager, Infrastructure, Office Automation and Telecommunications
The mission of the Indian Health Service (IHS) Office of Information Technology (OIT) is to provide a highly reliable and efficient health information system to support the delivery of health care to the American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) People that the IHS serves.
The Office of Information Technology is releasing the IT Strategic Plans to describe the strategic approach we intend to take to meet the mission. We are looking forward to a continuous partnership with the I/T/U in planning future IT Strategic Direction.
2015-2020 Strategic Plan [PDF - 273 KB]