Key Public Laws
The Indian Health Care Improvement Act (IHCIA) of 1976 (25 USC § 1601, et seq.) and the Snyder Act of 1921 (25 USC § 13) comprise the basic legislative authority for the Indian Health Service. Listed below are these Acts along with several other Acts which give Congress authority to appropriate funds for the Indian Health Service.
- Snyder Act, 25 USC § 13 [PDF - 60 KB]
- The Indian Health Care Improvement Act (Link to the IHS IHCIA site where other materials and information are available for understanding the Legislative History of this important enactment.)
- Alaska Native and American Indian Direct Reimbursement Act, Public Law 106-417 [PDF - 117 KB]
- Indian Special Diabetes Program Act, 42 USC § 254c-3 [PDF - 77 KB]
- Transfer Act, 42 USC § 2001 [PDF - 38 KB]
- Indian Health Facilities, Public Law 85-151 [PDF - 25 KB]