May 14, 2021
The Indian Health Service (IHS) would like to improve their understanding of Tribal and Urban Indian Organization investment in Health Information Technology (HIT) and request Tribal and Urban Indian Organization to complete an electronic Health Record Data Call by June 4, 2021. The responses/information provided from the data call will help the IHS respond to the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2021 Congressional mandate, as well as inform the IHS HIT Modernization project about Tribes and Urban Indian Organizations' experiences with EHR acquisitions and costs.
- The Acting Director writes to Tribal Leaders and Urban Indian Organization Leaders to request your participation in an Electronic Health Record data call. [PDF - 443 KB]
- IHS Congressional Tribal EHR Data Call Template [PDF - 144 KB]
April 1, 2021
After significant Tribal Consultation and Urban Confer, the IHS has made the decision to move forward with Full Replacement of the Resource and Patient Management System (RPMS). Please see the link below for additional information on next steps concerning the IHS HIT Modernization initiative:
- The Acting Director writes to inform Tribal Leaders and Urban Indian Organization Leaders of the next steps in the Indian Health Service Health Information Technology Modernization initiative. [PDF - 202 KB]
December 17, 2020
On December 17, 2020 (with another planned for January 14, 2021) IHS hosted Listening Sessions for Tribal Leaders and Urban Indian Organization Leaders to provide an update and invite input on next steps for the health information technology modernization at the Indian Health Service.
- Dear Tribal Leader Letter sent on December 10, 2020 [PDF]
- Recording of Listening Session from December 17, 2020
- Recording of Listening Session from January 14, 2021
- Listening Session Slides [PDF - 697 KB]
November 12, 2019
On November 12, the Department of Health and Human Services Office of the Chief Technology Officer released two reports on modernizing IHS Health Information Technology. The reports provide a roadmap to support improved clinical and non-clinical operations in health care facilities throughout the IHS, tribes, tribal organizations, and urban Indian organizations. Taken together, the findings identify key improvement opportunities and related work initiatives for implementing Health IT, along with estimated timelines and performance indicators.
- Strategic Options for the Modernization of the Indian Health Service Health Information Technology Roadmap Executive Summary
- Strategic Options for the Modernization of the Indian Health Service Health Information Technology Final Report October 2019
November 20, 2019
HHS Health IT Modernization Project – Final Report