For many dedicated health professionals, an IHS Loan Repayment Program (LRP) award provides the financial freedom to pursue a career with purpose. If you are a health professional interested in becoming an LRP participant, apply here for an IHS LRP award.
You will need to provide the following information when submitting an application:
- Personal information (name, address, etc.).
- Educational and professional background.
- Student Loan information.
- Confirm that you have read the:
- Affidavit/Sample Contract.
- Federal personnel systems and benefits comparison chart.
You MUST submit the following documentation to the LRP branch office in support of your application:
A copy of your college/university transcripts (official or unofficial will be accepted) detailing the health profession courses you completed as part of the education loans identified in your application.
License to Practice
A photocopy of your current, non-temporary, full and unrestricted license to practice (issued by any state, Washington, DC or Puerto Rico). You do not need a license to apply, but you must be licensed before your employment begins.
Examples of employment verification documentation include:
- Civil Service: US Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Notification of Personnel Action (SF-50B) form for federal civil service. A signed letter of hire (with the date of hire) on IHS facility letterhead is also acceptable.
- Tribal/Urban Indian Programs: A signed letter of hire (with the date of hire) on employer letterhead.
- Commissioned Corps: US Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Personnel Order.
A copy of all current statements related to the loans that you are submitting as part of your LRP application.
American Indian, Alaska Native or IHS Scholarship Program recipients receive priority consideration for an LRP award.
American Indians and Alaska Natives
The IHS LRP gives priority consideration to American Indian and Alaska Native applicants who are members of federally recognized Tribes. You must submit a copy of an approved Verification of Indian Preference for Employment in the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the Indian Health Service (Form BIA-4432) form with your application documenting your membership status.
IHS Scholarship Program Recipients
IHS Health Professions scholarship recipients must submit a copy of your completion letter documenting that you have fulfilled your service commitment in order to be considered for an LRP award.
Applications are accepted October 1 through August 15 and are evaluated monthly beginning in January (or as soon as funds become available).