NEW Special Hotline for Reporting Child/Sexual Abuse
The Indian Health Service has implemented extensive measures to promote and enhance patient safety and accountability. IHS has established, publicized, and will monitor a hotline dedicated solely to reporting of suspected child/sexual abuse. This hotline is separate and apart from the IHS “fraud, waste, and abuse” hotline.
Before you File a Complaint
Our investigations are most successful when you provide as much information as possible about the allegation and those involved. The more you tell us, the better chance we have of determining whether an investigation can be pursued. Before you begin, make sure you have as much as possible of the following information available:
- Name and contact information of the person or business related to your complaint. This includes, if available, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, etc.
- A brief written summary of nature, scope, time frame and how you came to learn about the activity in question.
- The name and contact information of any individual who can confirm the information you are reporting.
- Supporting evidence in electronic format that can be uploaded with your report. This may include e-mail communications, documents, billing records or photographs. (These are important documents and are best submitted using the online complaint form).
Reporting Child/Sexual Abuse
IHS, in collaboration with OIG, has established a new, centralized hotline dedicated to receiving reports of sexual abuse in IHS. This special hotline provides:
- Immediate connection to the OIG through a website complaint form found at the link below.
- Anonymous reporting if desired.
- 24-hour access to a dedicated toll-free line. (855) SAFE-IHS
The telephone number above will be answered personally between 8:00 a.m and 8:00 p.m. ET on weekdays, excluding Federal holidays. The toll-free telephone line is staffed by individuals trained to receive, document, and respond to or relay child abuse reports to law enforcement in a timely manner. A message may be left by the caller during overnight and weekend hours.
Reporting Fraud, Waste and Abuse
The purpose of the IHS general hotline is to report fraud, waste and abuse and/or administrative mismanagement.
- Submit reports online to IHS
- Anonymous reporting if desired
- Telephone reports may be made to the IHS Hotline: 301-443-0658. IHS employees answer calls to this hotline on weekdays (excluding federal holidays) and callers may leave a message and someone will return their call.
- You may also report information through the OIG hotline at (800) HHS-TIPS, or online at TIPS.HHS.GOV OIG Hotline Operations accepts tips and complaints from all sources about potential fraud, waste, abuse, and mismanagement in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services’ programs.
What to Expect After Filing Your Complaint
Your complaint will be reviewed by an official who will determine further action. Not all complaints result in an investigation. If you have identified yourself, a reviewing official may contact you for further information. However, if you are not contacted it does not mean your complaint is not being investigated.