Health Information Management Disciplines: Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), and Coding Specialist
American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA)
To ensure that its members meet professional standards of excellence, the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) issues credentials in health information management and coding. Following certification, AHIMA members must maintain their credentials through continuing education requirements.
Health Information Management
- Certified Coding Associate (CCA)
- Certified Coding Specialist (CCS)
- Certified Coding Specialist-Physician-based (CCS-P)
American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC)
The American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) currently provides medical coding certification exams for coders in physician practices and the outpatient/facility environment.
- Medical Coding Certified Professional Coder (CPC)
- Certified Professional Coder -Hospital (CPC-H)
Search the Job Vacancy database for available positions in Medical Record Technician or Medical Record Administrative Specialist/Medical Record Administrator at IHS and tribal facilities.
If you are interested in obtaining your RHIA, RHIT, or Coding Certification and working at an IHS or tribal facility, visit the IHS Scholarship Program.
HIM and Coding Position Descriptions
The following position descriptions are IHS, Tribal or Veteran’s Health Administration examples to assist HIM managers with staffing.
Supervisory Medical Record Administrative Specialist
Medical Record Technicians/Clerks
- Coders (Medical Record Technicians) and Patient Care Component (PCC) Data Entry
- PCC EHR Clerk Cherokee [DOC - 32 KB]
- Medical Coder Cherokee [DOC - 38 KB]
- Medical Record Clerk Cherokee [DOC - 34 KB]
- National Coder GS 675 [DOC - 34 KB]
VistA Imaging Scanning