IHS Nurse Residency Program
The IHS Nurse Residency Program (IHS-NRP) is a work study program designed to strengthen the nursing workforce in the Indian Health Service, Tribal or Urban health programs through advanced education and improvements in quality management, access, and customer service by increasing nursing knowledge and leadership development.
If you have any questions, please contact the Office of Clinical and Preventive Services - Division of Nursing at 301-443-1840.
American Indians into Nursing Program
This program is authorized under Section 112 of the Indian Health Service Care Improvement Act. The purpose of the Nursing Grant Program is to increase the number of nurses, nurse midwives, nurse anesthetists, and nurse practitioners who deliver health care services to Native American Indian and Alaska Native (AI/AN) communities.
The primary objectives of this grant award are to:
- Recruit and train AI/AN individuals to be nurses (Graduate and Undergraduate)
- Provide scholarships to AI/AN individuals enrolled in schools of nursing
- Provide a program that encourages AI/AN nurses (Graduate and Undergraduate) to provide or continue to provide, health care services in AI/AN health care programs
- Provide a program that increases the skills of, and provides continuing education to AI/AN nurses.
- Arizona State University
- University of North Dakota
- Montana State University
- California State University – San Marcos
- Salish Kootenai College
Division of Health Professions Support
IHS Scholarship Analyst
IHS Scholarship Program
The IHS Scholarship Program provides qualified American Indian and Alaska Native health professsions students with financial support in exchange for a minimum two-year service commitment within an Indian Health program in a chosen health professional discipline.
- Preparatory Scholarship: Pre-Nursing- Courses leading to a BS in Nursing
- Health Professions Scholarship in a Professional Nursing Degrees
- Associates Degree in Nursing (ADN-RN)
- Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN-RN)
- Advance Practice Nurse Graduate Degrees
- Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP)
- Certified Nurse Midwife (CNM)
Visit the IHS Scholarship Program website or contact the branch office at 301-443-6197 for application and program information.
Nurse Extern Program
The IHS Extern Program offers IHS scholarship recipients, as well as other health professions students, the opportunity to gain valuable clinical experience in an Indian health facility. This experience allows students to develop their clinical skills under expert supervision while contributing to an interdisciplinary team of health professionals. Externships are available to health professions students who are:
- US Citizens
- Enrolled in a priority health professions degree program
- In good academic standing : Undergraduate students with a 2.0 GPA or above.
Visit the IHS Externship Program website or contact the branch office at 301-443-6197 for more information on the IHS Extern Program.
It's our job to keep people well and the medical care we provide is outstanding. I make home visits to people who are newly born, people who are dying and everyone in between. I have gotten to know the community and to earn their trust. I'm so proud of what I do.” – IHS Nurse
IHS Loan Repayment Recipient
Loan Repayment Program
Indian health professionals have a number of loan repayment program options through which they can receive financial support. The Indian Health Service (IHS) and the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) support two such programs for health professionals interested in a career in Indian health. Nurses are also eligible for loan repayment through the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) Nursing Education Loan Repayment Program.
Visit the IHS Loan Repayment Program website for more information on the program and how to apply for an award.
Visit the Nurse Corps Loan Payment Program website for more information on the program and how to apply.