Skip to site content


Q. Do I have to be an American Indian or Alaska Native to work for the Indian Health Service (IHS)?

A: No, but IHS is required by law to provide job preference to American Indians and Alaska Natives. To learn about Indian preference, visit the Jobs web site.

Q. Does IHS have a Loan Repayment Program?

A: Yes. The maximum repayment dollar amount for qualifying loans is $20,000 per year (after taxes). To learn more about this program, visit the IHS Loan Repayment Program web site.

Q. Is there an IHS Scholarship Program for pharmacy students?

A: Yes. The IHS Scholarship Program is open to American Indian and Alaska Native students interested in pursuing a health professional or allied health professional career. Visit the IHS Scholarship Program web site for program information and how to apply.

Q. Are opportunities for students available through IHS?

A: Yes. There are numerous opportunities for pharmacy students to gain clinical practice while experiencing what a career at IHS has to offer. Please visit the Student Opportunities page for more information.

Q. How do I upload my Curriculum Vitae (CV) on this Web site?

A: Go to the Contact a Recruiter page to begin working with a recruiter regarding your interest in a position as a pharmacist with IHS. Once you have completed and submitted the online form, you will be able to upload your CV.

Q. Is there an age limit to work at IHS?

A: There are no age requirements for the Civil Service or Tribal hire career paths at IHS. However, if you choose to pursue employment with us through the US Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps, you must be under the age of 44 at the time of commissioning. Contact USPHS Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving  for more information.

Q. Does IHS accept volunteers?

A: Yes, we do accept volunteers. The IHS determines the credentialing process for each volunteer by location. Because the credentialing process can be time consuming, most IHS sites prefer individuals who are interested in recurrent volunteering.

Q. I’m interested in learning more about a particular IHS Area and want to speak to the primary contact person for more information. What is the best way to contact that person?

A: The best way to get employee and facility contact information for a particular Area is to visit the IHS Employee and Facility Locator page on the IHS Web site.

Q. If I was to become a Commissioned Corps officer within IHS, would my prior military service count toward retirement?

A: Yes, your military service counts toward retirement when you join IHS through the US Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps. Your retirement date will be calculated prior to commissioning you as an officer.