2017 Catalog: All Courses
DD0017: Leadership Course: ADO Concepts II
New IHS Area Dental Officers face unique challenges: almost as soon as they assume the role of ADO they are expected to be experts on everything from recruitment, pay and benefits, tribal self-governance, dental public health, clinic design, clinical efficiency, and myriad other topics. The ADO Concepts Courses are designed to teach prospective, new, and seasoned ADOs key concepts regarding dental public health, personnel management, clinical efficiency and effectiveness, program budget management, time management, and how to work within the system by building and developing partnerships, collaborations, and valuable relationships with fellow ADOs, Area Office staff and Headquarters staff.
Upon completion of this course, the participant will be able to:
1. Describe the organizational structure of the Indian Health Service, including IHS Areas, types of program management, key leaders, etc.;
2. Understand the IHS Division of Oral Health standards related to clinical productivity, efficiency and effectiveness and be able to utilize these standards in a practical setting;
3. Distinguish between the four types of personnel systems with regard to recruitment, salary, benefits, performance evaluations, discipline, retirement, etc.;
4. Explain the differences between a private practice and public health dental model and the rationale behind clinical concepts such as levels of care, open access, the Government Performance and Results Act [GPRA] as they relate to the public health model; and
5. Develop a workplan that incorporates the needs of internal and external customers, reflects priorities of these stakeholders, and follows a logical sequence
It is the policy of the Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, that faculty/planners disclose any financial or other relationships with commercial companies whose products may be discussed in the educational activity. The Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, also requires that faculty disclose any unlabeled or investigative use of pharmaceutical products and medical devices. Images that have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes are prohibited.
None of the faculty/planners for this activity has a conflict of interest, and there is no use of unlabeled or investigative pharmaceutical products or medical devices. No images have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes.The educational objectives, content, and selection of educational methods and instructors are conducted independent of any commercial entity.
Must be an Area Dental Officer or IHS Headquarters Division of Oral Health Staff hired within the past 5 years in this position.
Tuition must be paid in full 8 weeks prior to the start date of any course. Request for refunds must be received in writing at least two weeks before the course begins. For each refund request, there will be an administrative charge of $100. No refunds will be made to registrants who fail to attend a course. If IHS CDE program cancels a course, then 100% of the tuition will be refunded.