2023 Catalog: All Courses
DE0022: Diabetes Online CDE: COVID-19 Related Nutrition Issues in AI/AN Communities
COVID-19 is affecting Indian communities across the US. Extra precautions are needed to protect the health of people at increased risk for COVID-19 complications, including older adults and individuals with chronic medical conditions, such as diabetes. This session will provide tools for health care team members to assist patients with:
• addressing issues with accessing adequate food,
• utilizing proper food safety practices, and
• being prepared to meet special diabetes needs
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Provide the most up to date education and support for patients and their families to reduce risk of contracting COVID-19 by following CDC and FDA food safety guidance.
2. Screen for and respond to food insecurity.
3. Examine nutrition challenges and changes to diabetes management that may be required during illness with COVID-19.
It is the policy of the Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, that faculty/planners disclose any financial or other relationships with commercial companies whose products may be discussed in the educational activity. The Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, also requires that faculty disclose any unlabeled or investigative use of pharmaceutical products and medical devices. Images that have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes are prohibited.
None of the faculty/planners for this activity has a conflict of interest, and there is no use of unlabeled or investigative pharmaceutical products or medical devices. No images have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes.The educational objectives, content, and selection of educational methods and instructors are conducted independent of any commercial entity.
Tuition must be paid in full 8 weeks prior to the start date of any course. Request for refunds must be received in writing at least two weeks before the course begins. For each refund request, there will be an administrative charge of $100. No refunds will be made to registrants who fail to attend a course. If IHS CDE program cancels a course, then 100% of the tuition will be refunded.