As a result of the current Federal government funding situation, the information on this website may not be up to date or acted upon. Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at www.opm.gov . Despite the lapse in appropriations, IHS will continue to provide direct clinical health care services as well as referrals for contracted services that cannot be provided through IHS clinics. For more information on how IHS is impacted, visit: HHS Contingency Plan
Information Systems Security Awareness
Information Systems Security Awareness (ISSA) is mandatory annual security awareness training for all IHS system users and fulfills Federal mandates and regulations. IHS develops the modules in line with National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) guidelines on information security awareness and information security trainings.
The ISSA modules fulfill an IHS user's annual requirements for the following:
- Acknowledgement and acceptance of the IHS Rules of Behavior
- Privacy training
- Protecting sensitive information and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) & the Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH)
- Physical and information security
- Appropriate email use
- Protecting mobile devices and portable media
- Social engineering awareness
- Incident response and learning from past incidents
You can take the training or learn more at the ISSA website.