As a result of the current Federal government funding situation, the information on this website may not be up to date or acted upon. Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at www.opm.gov . Despite the lapse in appropriations, IHS will continue to provide direct clinical health care services as well as referrals for contracted services that cannot be provided through IHS clinics. For more information on how IHS is impacted, visit: HHS Contingency Plan
Sustainable acquisitions refer to environmentally-preferable products and services that have a reduced impact on human health and the environment when compared with competing products or services that serve the same purpose.
IHS utilizes the HHS Affirmative Procurement Plan (APP) as a guide for environmentally preferable purchasing. The HHS APP provides guidelines for an effective green purchasing program that encompasses the use of designated recycled content, Energy Star®, EPEAT®, energy-efficient, bio-based, and environmentally preferable products.
IHS sustainable acquisitions objectives:
- New contract actions, including task and delivery orders for products and services, must be:
- Energy-efficient (Energy Star® or Federal Energy Management Program (FEMP)-designated);
- Non-ozone depleting;
- Contain recycled-content materials; and
- Non-toxic or less toxic alternatives.
- Ensure a continued procurement preference for Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool (EPEAT) registered electronic products.
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Environmentally Preferable Purchasing Program : Helps agencies across the federal government comply with green purchasing requirements.
- EPA Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) - List of Substitutes : Lists, by industrial sector, substitutes for conventional ozone depleting substances.
- ENERGY STAR® Product List : Provides a list of ENERGY STAR® products for the home, business and government. Also includes products that are in development.
- General Services Administration (GSA) Environmental Program aisle on GSA Advantage : Offers easy access to the wide variety of environmental products and services offered by GSA - including those products designated as "ENERGY STAR®", "Recycled", "EPEAT®" and more.