Substance Use Disorders
Information on Drug and Alcohol Prevention and Treatment
- Substance Use in Women and Men – Infographic, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)
- Women and Drugs – NIDA
The IHS Alcohol and Substance Abuse Program site has information and resources for recognizing and overcoming addiction to alcohol or drugs. Specific topic pages are linked below.
Opioid Use Disorder
Opioid use disorder, which is made up of opioid addiction and opioid dependence, is a medical condition based on the compulsive use of opioids (e.g., morphine, heroin, codeine, oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc.) despite negative consequences of continued use and the withdrawal symptoms that occur when opioid use stops.
The IHS Pain and Opioid Use Disorder site has information and resources for treating opioid and related addiction.
- Drugs of Abuse: Opioids – CDC
- Heroin Addiction Fact Sheet – NIH RePORT
- Injury Prevention and Control: Opioid Overdose, Understanding the Epidemic – CDC
- Medication-Assisted Treatment (MAT) for Substance Use Disorders – Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)
Prescription and Illegal Drug Use
Information on Women and Alcohol
- Women and Alcohol – National Institute on Alcohol, Abuse, and Alcoholism (NIAAA)
- Substance Abuse Treatment for Women – SAMHSA
- Women, Addiction, and Recovery newsletter – SAMHSA
Maternal Substance Addiction
For information on drug use by pregnant women and the effects of this use on their babies, visit the Alcohol and Substance Use during Pregnancy page.
Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) Information
- Addressing Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorders (FASD) – SAMHSA
- Women and Alcohol Facts – NIAAA
- Alcohol use During Pregnancy – Maternal and Child Health Bureau, Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)