Many health professionals choose to pursue a career in Indian health through the federal civil service personnel system. This well-traveled path provides great career flexibility and generous federal employee benefits. Plus, as there are no age or physical eligibility requirements, the civil service is a compelling choice for both experienced professionals and recent graduates alike.
- Competitive starting salary and benefits.
- 13 - 26 days paid vacation, depending on experience.
- 10 paid federal holidays.
- Up to 13 days sick leave per year.
- Comprehensive health insurance.
- No-cost malpractice coverage.
- Comprehensive retirement program.
- Thrift savings (contributory) retirement plan with government match.
- Annual continuing education where available.
- US citizenship
- Applicant must have active, current, valid & professional nursing license in any State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
- Degree or Diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at time the program was completed by the applicant.
Visit the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website for more information on employment and benefits as a federal civil servant.