Patients should be educated on how to safely store their medications at home to prevent theft or accidental poisoning.Store in a cool dry place
- Kitchens and bathrooms are poor choices due to the humidity.
- If there is cotton in the medication bottle, remove and throw the cotton away. The cotton can absorb moisture and affect the medication, once opened.
- Lock medications within a safe, cabinet, or lockable box.
- Store refrigerated medications in a lockable box, away from food items.
- Federal law prohibits the sharing of any prescription medication.
- Don't share your medications, it's illegal!
Lock It Up: Medicine Safety In Your Home, a video from the Food and Drug Administration