How to Apply PGY2 Programs
2023-2024 hiring cycle (for the 2024-2025 residency year)
Application deadline: Applications and all required documents (Sections A, B, C below) must be uploaded and submitted to USAJobs, emailed with time stamp, and postmarked by 11:59 PM Eastern Time (ET) 12/15/2023. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Process: Applicants who meet the 12/15/2023 deadline AND submit all required materials will be reviewed by an IHS Human Resource Specialist for eligibility and qualification. If you are selected for an interview, the Residency Program Director from the individual site(s) will contact you. Not all applicants will be granted interviews. IHS residencies do NOT participate in the ASHP Match process. Every effort will be made for IHS residency selections to be made in advance of the ASHP Match process, so that in the event of a non-selection for an IHS Residency, candidates can still proceed with the ASHP Match.
EACH ITEM ON THIS CHECKLIST IS REQUIRED (sections A, B, C)
Please read and follow all instructions very carefully. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the application is complete. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow-up with the Residency Program Director at individual site(s) regarding emailed materials (items in Section A below). Other questions should be directed to the contacts listed at the end of this notice.
All applications will be considered for the Federal Civil Service or Tribal employment system unless the applicant ALSO applies separately to the USPHS Commissioned Corps.
Application to the Corps is OPTIONAL and may not be granted to all IHS residency selectees. Corps application is NOT required to apply for IHS residency.
To apply for the USPHS Commissioned Corps:
In the event that you are selected for an IHS Residency, and you are interested in applying to the USPHS Commissioned Corps, the screening process will begin immediately upon residency selection. Your decision to apply to the Corps must be made immediately after being selected for a program. Please do the following if you are considering employment as a USPHS Commissioned Corps Officer:
- Review information about the Corps on the USPHS website.
- Review the USPHS Pre-Screening Self-Assessment Tool [PDF - 565 KB] which contains medical and suitability partial lists of disqualifiers.
- Discuss this option with programs and contacts throughout the application process so you are able to make an informed decision quickly upon matching with a program.
SECTION A.1. Complete Site Selection Form and submit the following documents (#1-5 below) via Email directly to the Residency Program Director (RPD) at EACH facility to which you are applying.
Please complete the PGY2 Site Selection Form to indicate the programs to which you are applying.
Email addresses for individual Directors may be found on the Residency Directors page.
- Personal Statement, addressing why you wish to complete an IHS PGY2 Residency and why you are interested in the respective program(s) (max 1 page, 12 point font, 1 inch margins).
- Writing sample – fully developed in paragraph form, no outlines or presentation slides. This should be your own work (and not a collaborative effort that you have co-authored) and should be technical, professional, and pharmacy focused. This can be from previous coursework from school or APPE rotations
- Prospective Resident Survey [PDF - 859 KB]
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of current official or unofficial pharmacy school transcripts
SECTION A.2. Enter your information, hiring preferences, and site selections through the survey link (link will be available on October 16, 2023).
SECTION B. USAJobs online application for Federal Employment (#1-5 below)
- By December 15, 2023, fill out the online USAJobs Pharmacist (Resident) PGY-2 application
Review this video for further instruction on completing this application . The applicant is responsible for ensuring the application is officially submitted. You will receive a notification or control number from USAJobs when you have fully completed the application. Incompletely submitted applications will not be considered. To complete the USAJobs application(s), you will need the following prepared in advance:
- Pharmacy school transcripts (unofficial is acceptable)
- Most current Curriculum Vitae (we suggest that you submit your CV instead of using the online "resume builder")
- Form BIA-4432 [PDF - 1 MB] only if requesting consideration of Indian Preference for employment
- If you are a licensed pharmacist, you must submit a copy or include license information such as license number and the state you are registered in on your CV.
- ANY other documents requested in the announcement
SECTION C. All materials must be postmarked by 11:59 Eastern Time (ET) on December 15, 2023. These materials must be sent as one, complete packet.
Submit the following ORIGINAL documents by mail to:
LCDR Leah Weiss, National IHS Residency Co-coordinator
RE: PGY2 Pharmacy Residency Application
19600 E. Ross St
Tahlequah, OK 74464
- Cover sheet that contains your typed full name, email address, phone number, and programs you are applying to (those indicated in the above site selection form)
- All applicants must provide THREE Letters of Reference from three different authors.
- Instruct the authors to sign across the closed seal on the back of their envelope and return to you for inclusion in your packet.
For questions about Section A: please email IHS pharmacy inquiries.
For questions about Section C: please contact LCDR Leah Weiss.