How To Apply
Applications for the IHS PGY-1 Pharmacy Residency are closed for the 2019-2020 residency hiring cycle.
Selections will be made in February 2019 and applicants will be notified.
For the upcoming 2020-2021 PGY1 and PGY2 residency application cycles, please check back on this website in September 2019.
IHS PGY-2 Pharmacy Residency Application Checklist for the 2019-2020 residency year
Site: Northern Navajo Medical Center (NNMC), Shiprock, NM; federal Indian Health Service facility; the USAJobs announcement also states Whiteriver, but that position has already been filled
Positions: Two PGY-2 residents for NNMC
All applications to these two positions will only be considered for the Civil Service employment system.
Application deadline: Application opens 1/29/19. USAJobs application must be completed with all required documents uploaded by midnight Eastern time zone 2/8/19. All items in section A must also be emailed by the same deadline on 2/8/19. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
Process: Applicants who meet the 2/8/19 deadline AND submit all required materials will be reviewed by an IHS Human Resource Specialist for suitability. If you are selected for interview, the Residency Program Director from NNMC will contact you within a week after the application deadline. Not all applicants will be granted interviews. Selections will occur in early March 2019, allowing applicants to remain in the ASHP Match process in the event of non-selection for an IHS residency. IHS residencies do NOT participate in the ASHP Match process.
EACH ITEM ON THIS CHECKLIST IS REQUIRED (sections A, B, and C)
Please read and follow all instructions very carefully. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure the application is complete. You will NOT be notified of an incomplete application. Incomplete or late applications will not be considered. It is the applicant's responsibility to follow-up with the Residency Program Director at NNMC regarding emailed materials or receipt of reference letters (items in Sections A and C below). Other questions should be directed to the contacts listed at the end of this notice.
SECTION A. Submit the following documents (#1-6 below) via EMAIL directly to the Residency Program Director (RPD) at NNMC: CDR Kevin McDermott
- Letter of Intent, addressing why you wish to complete a PGY-2 IHS Residency (max 1 page, 12 point font, 1 inch margins).
- Technical (medical/scientific) writing sample from your professional career (ex. drug information response, Journal Club presentation/article review, DUER, formulary presentation, etc. Please refrain from Power Point presentations, as these are typically a framework for information and it is difficult to determine writing style and determine depth of comprehension of the material). This submission should be an individual effort, technical in nature, and not directed toward patient education or part of a group effort.
- Completed the PGY2 Prospective Resident Survey 2019 [DOC - 83 KB]
- Most current Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of pharmacy school transcripts
- Most current performance evaluation documenting PGY1 residency progress, if still in residency. If PGY1 is completed, provide a copy of your Residency Completion Certificate.
SECTION B. USAJobs online application for Federal Employment
Fill out the online USAJobs application between 1/29/19 and 2/8/19.
The applicant is responsible for ensuring the application is officially submitted. You will receive a notification or control number from USAJobs when you have fully completed the application. Incompletely submitted applications will not be considered. To complete the USAJobs application(s), you will need the following prepared in advance:
- Pharmacy school transcripts (showing degree was awarded)
- Most current Curriculum Vitae (we suggest that you submit your CV instead of using the online "resume builder")
- Form BIA-4432 [PDF - 110 KB](only if requesting consideration of Indian Preference for employment)
- Proof of licensure as a Pharmacist
- Any other required documents as listed in the job announcement
SECTION C. All materials must be postmarked by midnight 2/18/19. These materials must be sent as one, complete packet. Photocopies will not be accepted.
Submit the following ORIGINAL documents to:
CDR Kevin McDermott
RE: PGY2 Pharmacy Residency Application
Northern Navajo Medical Center
P.O. Box 160, Highway 491 North
Shiprock, NM 87420
All applicants must provide FOUR completed
For questions about Section B: USAJobs application, please contact Angela Peshlakai.
For questions about items in Section A or C above, please contact CDR Kevin McDermott.