IHS and the QPP
How does the QPP impact IHS?
The QPP impacts how the Agency participates in Medicare reporting and reimbursement.
Who should be aware of these changes?
IHS staff should be aware of the Medicare payment changes and requirements, especially staff that deal with Medicare reimbursements and reporting, including: clinicians, administrators, information technology staff, business office staff, quality improvement teams, and other stakeholders. For more information about the IHS roles and responsibilities in implementing the QPP at IHS sites, please refer to the QPP IHS Roles and Responsibilities [PDF - 88 KB]. This is historical information that provides guidance in planning for data extraction and QPP reporting.
The following resources are available to help IHS programs prepare for QPP reporting:
Preparing for the Quality Payment Program – IHS Memo [PDF - 160 KB] (January 6, 2017)
Quality Payment Program - IHS Preparation [PDF - 911 KB] (August 2016)
Please contact us for more information on how to meet measures using RPMS/EHR.
For reference purposes, historical IHS Presentations on Medicare Changes and QPP reporting are archived in the sections below.
For more information about Medicare Cards and Medicare Beneficiary Identifiers, please visit CMS Medicare web page.
- The New Medicare Card Update: Transition Period Ends December 31, 2019 (TribalNet Conference – 11/12/19) [PDF - 1.86 MB]
- Long Term Service and Support Technical Assistance for American Indians and Alaska Natives : CMS New Medicare Card Project – February 28, 2018 [PDF - 1.57 MB]
- The New Medicare Card Initiative: Indian Health Service Update - March 1, 2018 [PDF - 1.52 MB]
- An Overview of QPP Year 2 and New Medicare Card Rollout: Tribal Health Revenue Improvement Conference – May 2, 2018 [PDF - 2.73 MB]
- QPP MACRA Helpful Tips for 2019 Reporting and Updates for Program Year 2020 – 12/5/2019 [PDF – 2 MB]
- QPP MACRA Helpful Tips for 2018 Reporting 03/08/2019 [PDF – 2 MB] — Contact Us for a recording of the presentation.
- The Quality Payment Program: Year 2 (2018) Overview – 12/21/2017 [PDF – 2.25 MB]
- MACRA: Quality Payment Program Reporting, Roles & Responsibilities 8-17-17 [PDF - 3 MB]
- QPP-MACRA Update to ISAC 6-14-2017 [PDF - 1.83 MB]
- QPP-MACRA Update to TTAG 6-14-2017 [PDF - 1.44 MB]
- An IHS Overview of The Quality Payment Program - MACRA 12-16-16 [PDF - 2 MB] — Contact Us for a recording of the presentation.
For reference purposes, historical QPP Webinars are archived in the sections below.
The Quality Payment Program 2021 and 2022 training materials can be accessed at the RPMS Recording and Material Library. See Instructions to Access the RPMS Recording Material Library. Once the library is accessed, under “Category” select “Role-based” and “RPMS Application” and under the “Keyword(s)” section type “QPP” and search.