Depression can make it difficult for individuals with diabetes to carry out their daily activities, including diabetes self-management. Depression screening, with follow up of positive results, can improve depression outcomes.
Required Key Measure
Must be reported by grantees that select this Best Practice.
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who are screened for depression and/or who have an active diagnosis of depression.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group from adults and/or adolescents with diabetes.
You are required to report Required Key Measure data for one Target Group for your selected Best Practice. A Target Group is the largest number of patients/participants that your grant program can realistically serve. The following should be considered in selecting your Target Group:
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
For information and examples on selecting a Target Group, see the SDPI Diabetes Best Practice and Target Group recorded webinar.
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
- Diabetes Standards of Care and Resources for Clinicians and Educators: Depression
- Recorded CME/CE Webinar:
- Diabetes & Mental Health in Integrated Settings: Depression and Anxiety
- Diabetes & Mental Health in Integrated Settings: Stress Management
- Integrating Behavioral Health Care and Diabetes Management
- Link Between Historical Trauma and Health Outcomes for Native Americans
- The Impact of Social Determinants of Health on Type 2 Diabetes in Indigenous Communities
- The Role of Nutrition Therapy for Depression and Anxiety in Diabetes Management
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Institute on Drug Abuse
National Institute of Mental Health