As a result of the current Federal government funding situation, the information on this website may not be up to date or acted upon. Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at www.opm.gov . Despite the lapse in appropriations, IHS will continue to provide direct clinical health care services as well as referrals for contracted services that cannot be provided through IHS clinics. For more information on how IHS is impacted, visit: HHS Contingency Plan
Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
Sexually transmitted infections (STIs), also known as sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) are caused by viruses, bacteria, and parasites and are spread through sexual activity, including but not limited to intercourse. While some STIs can be fully cured with medicine, others can only be treated, and some may lead to life threatening diseases such as AIDS and Cancer. The best way to prevent STIs is through prevention.
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases & Related Conditions – List of infections by type from the CDC
- Get Tested for Sexually Transmitted Diseases – Gettested.org
- Sexually Transmitted Infections – Womenshealth.gov
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases – MedlinePlus