2022 Catalog: All Courses
DE0290: USPHS Quarterly CDE Webinar: New Periodontal Classification Standards [Recorded Webinar]
Have you heard about the new classification system that will change the way you rate your patients' periodontal health? A new classification system emerged from the 2017 World Workshop on the Classification of Periodontal and Peri-Implant Diseases and Conditions, co-hosted by the American Academy of Periodontology [AAP] and the European Federation of Periodontology [EFP]. The workshop's classification changes are the first since 1999. This new system covers many factors in order to enable clinicians to form a complete picture of the patient's condition and to diagnose and manage it.
The new classification system identifies three types of periodontal diseases and conditions along with several important subcategories:
1. Periodontal Health, Gingival Diseases and Conditions: This category includes periodontal and gingival health, gingivitis related to dental biofilm and gingival diseases/conditions not related to biofilm.
2. Periodontitis: This classification encompasses necrotizing periodontal diseases, periodontitis [no longer identified as chronic or aggressive] and periodontitis as a manifestation of systemic diseases.
3. Other Conditions Affecting the Periodontium: These conditions include systemic diseases affecting the periodontium, periodontal abscesses or endodontic-periodontal lesions, mucogingival deformities and conditions, traumatic occlusal forces, and tooth and prosthesis-related factors.
Details on this new periodontal classification system will be presented in this quarterly webinar for dentists and dental hygienists working in U.S. Public Health Service agencies and operating divisions [IHS, BOP, USCG, IHSC, FDA, NIH, CDC, HRSA]. The live webinar will be available on January 29, 2020 from 1:00 - 2:00 Eastern Time, and the Adobe Connect information will be sent out via the listserv. Due to limits on the Adobe account, only the first 100 participants will be able to join the live webinar, so we encourage clinics to call in with all staff on one line. A recording of this webinar will be released for those unable to sign in/call in for the live session.
Upon completion of this course, participants will be able to:
1. Describe the differences between the old and new periodontal classification systems;
2. Determine the correct stage and grade of periodontitis; and
3. Develop a periodontal diagnosis using the new classification system.
It is the policy of the Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, that faculty/planners disclose any financial or other relationships with commercial companies whose products may be discussed in the educational activity. The Indian Health Service, Division of Oral Health, also requires that faculty disclose any unlabeled or investigative use of pharmaceutical products and medical devices. Images that have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes are prohibited.
None of the faculty/planners for this activity has a conflict of interest, and there is no use of unlabeled or investigative pharmaceutical products or medical devices. No images have been falsified or manipulated to misrepresent treatment outcomes.The educational objectives, content, and selection of educational methods and instructors are conducted independent of any commercial entity.
Please Make Checks Payable to: Indian Health Service.
Tuition must be paid in full 8 weeks prior to the start date of any course. Request for refunds must be received in writing at least two weeks before the course begins. For each refund request, there will be an administrative charge of $100. No refunds will be made to registrants who fail to attend a course. If IHS CDE program cancels a course, then 100% of the tuition will be refunded.