Skip to site content

Employee Step-by-Step Flow chart

Employees must report injuries to their supervisor immediately. In order to file a claim, injured employees must register and create an account in the Employee’s Compensation Operations Management Portal (ECOMP). Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving 

Training is available under the Help tab on the home page and the HHS Learning Portal - LMS using the search feature for ECOMP.

 Injuries must be reported to Safety via I-STAR. Reporting injuries through I-STAR is for Safety notification only.

A CA-16 can be provided for emergency medical treatment no later than 7 days after injury. CA-16s are not provided for Occupational Disease.

  1. Complete form CA-1, Notice of Traumatic Injury
  2. Claims submitted within 30 days and medical submitted within 10 days of injury qualify for Continuation of Pay (COP).
  3. If your claim is denied a correction to your T&A will be performed to change any COP used to your leave of choice.
  1. Complete form CA-2, Notice of Occupational Disease.
  2. You are not eligible for COP. If your claim is approved you have the choice to use leave or take LWOP and file form CA-7 for compensation from the Department of Labor (DOL).
  3. CA-7s should be submitted bi-weekly.

You will begin your claim in ECOMP by completing the OSHA-301, then proceed to the applicable claim form. Once your portion is complete, your claim will be routed to your supervisor followed by final review of the Agency Reviewer. ECOMP will provide a claim number within 24 hours after final submission of the claim. The Department of Labor’s Office of Workers’ Compensation Program (OWCP) is the sole adjudicator of all claims. If medical attention was received, please provide the claim number to your treating physician’s office for proper billing to the Dept. of Labor.

  1. You must provide medical restriction documentation to your supervisor for consideration of limited or light duty
  2. The CA-17 may be used to evaluate your ability to perform your regular duties.
  1. Can your supervisor accommodate your restrictions?
    1. Yes: You will be provided a Temporary Job Offer letter that both you and your supervisor must sign. The Agency Reviewer will assist in submitting it for approval by your claim examiner. You will provide updated medical bi?weekly. Duties will be adjusted until you can perform duties without restrictions. For less than full time hours and COP has ended, you can take leave or LWOP and file for compensation from the Dept. of Labor (DOL) by completing a CA-7. Claims must be accepted for compensation to be paid.
    2. No: If COP has ended or you were not eligible, you can take leave or LWOP and file for compensation from the Dept. of Labor (DOL) by completing a CA?7. Claims must be accepted in order for compensation to be paid. Keep in contact with your supervisor and provide updated medical bi?weekly. Discuss limited or light duty when improvements have occurred. Return to duty once medically cleared for performance.

If your claim is denied please follow the options provided by the DOL. Inform your supervisor if you have decided to pursue options for reconsideration of acceptance.

  1. Provide medical clearance to your supervisor and return to duty immediately.