Policy Training Tools
The IHS Division of Grants Management, Office of Management Services, is a key functional area within IHS Headquarters and is responsible for providing quality grant-related training functions to all our stakeholders. The grants staff is dedicated to empowering our IHS grant community with the required knowledge and training required for continued compliance of IHS policies, Indian laws, and HHS legislative and regulatory requirements.
All training posted on the Training Tools page has been approved by the Chief Grants Management Officer, Grants Policy Staff. These materials are available for immediate use.
The GPS training tools will assist you in becoming much more efficient with the IHS grants management process and provide instructions for completing all aspects of the pre- and post- grant award functions, monitoring and reporting requirements. Proficient grants tools, from start-up straight to the closeout process.
Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, the GrantSolutions Program Office training sessions normally scheduled on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 will be cancelled. Normally scheduled training will resume in December. No other changes to the scheduled training are anticipated at this time.
GrantSolutions training will be held on a regular basis. These sessions will be live webinars providing a demonstration of the system's functions and their use. The schedule is as follows:
- 2nd Wednesday each month - Grantee training (90 minutes)
- 3rd Wednesday each month - Program Office training (90 minutes)
GrantSolutions training sessions start at 10 AM and 1 PM, Eastern time.
To attend a live webinar, please contact Mr. Paul Gettys, indicating the date and time you would like to attend. Please provide your name, organization, number of attendees with you, and phone number. You will be provided the webinar connection information by reply e-mail.
In order to access the GrantSolutions system, you must have a GrantSolutions account. Please contact Mr. Paul Gettys to request a copy of the GrantSolutions Grantee Account Request form. All forms should be completed in their entirety and sent to Mr. Gettys by e-mail, or by fax to 301-594-0899. IHS Project Officers will need to complete the GrantSolutions Federal User Account Form, which can also be obtained by contacting Mr. Gettys directly.
Additional live webinar training will be announced here in the future as needed.
Pre-recorded webinars covering other training topics, such as No Cost Extensions, will be posted to this page for review at your convenience.
- IHS Discretionary Grants Cycle
- Funding Opportunity Announcement Process [PDF - 248 KB]
- Grants and Cooperative Agreements [PDF - 266 KB]
IHS Objective Reviews
- Objective Review Training [PDF - 483 KB]
Recorded Objective Review training session
- If you are interested in serving as a grant application reviewer for one or more of our funding opportunities, please download the form here [PDF - 122 KB]. It is a fillable PDF. Save a copy on your hard drive, fill it out and save it, then send it by e-mail to the Division of Grants Management.
- Financial Reporting [PDF - 593 KB]
IHS Financial Reporting Training
- Division of Payment Management Grant Recipient Training Schedule
Schedule of training sessions hosted by the Division of Payment Management on Payment Management Service for recipient organizations. Also has links to other training materials and further information.
- Payment Management System Roles and Responsibilities
Overview of the Payment Management System's Roles and Responsibilities.
- Federal Financial Report (FFR) Training Materials
Payment Management Service
- Carryover Training [PDF - 520 KB]
- Closeout Requirements [PDF - 506 KB]
- No Cost Extensions [PDF - 253 KB]
Recorded No Cost Extensions training session
- OMB Cost Principles [PDF - 818 KB]
- Performance Progress Reports (SF-PPR) [PDF - 246 KB]
- Program, Grants and Policy Work Together [PDF - 191 KB]
- Progress Reports Requirements [PDF - 333 KB]
IHS Electronic Grant Systems
- Grant Application Process (Grants.gov)
Provides a brief overview of the application process and the steps required to register as a Grants.gov user to apply for IHS Funding Opportunities.
- Grants.gov Grants Learning Center
Provides information on a wide range of grants topics.
- Grantee Guide to Grant Solutions [PDF - 2.16 MB]
- GrantSolutions Grantee Training videos
Training videos, hosted by GrantSolutions, including "Introduction to GrantSolutions for Grantees," and "GrantSolutions Post-Award Activities for Grantees."
- Request a GrantSolutions Grantee account
Scroll down to the Grantee User section and click the link for the Grantee User Account Request form. Once filled out and signed, return it to Mr. Paul Gettys to receive a GrantSolutions account.
- How to Fill out the GrantSolutions Account Request form [PDF - 117 KB]
Complete instructions for filling out the GrantSolutions Grantee account request form and submitting it. These instructions will help you avoid mistakes and delays in obtaining your account.
NARCH Program Grants-Related Information
- PHS 398 Instructions and Forms
This link takes you to the site hosting the PHS 398 Grant Application forms and instructions on how to properly fill them out.
- PHS 2590 Instructions and Forms
This link takes you to the site hosting the PHS 2590 Non-Competing Continuation Progress Report forms and instructions on how to properly fill them out.
- Developing Your Budget
Guide to developing your NARCH budget.
- SF-424 (R&R) Budget Forms
Forms and instructions for filling out the SF-424 (R&R) Budget Forms.