Skip to site content

EEO Complaint Process

Alternative Dispute Resolution

(ADR) Federal Sector Alternative Dispute Resolution Fact Sheet [PDF - 20 KB]
Alternative Dispute Resolution generally refers to a continuum of processes and approaches that are designed to resolve disputes in a manner which avoids the cost, delay, and unpredictability of more traditional adversarial and adjudicatory process, such as litigation, hearings and appeals. ADR offers the parties the opportunity for an early, informal resolution of disputes in a mutually satisfactory fashion.

Informal Counseling

Informal EEO Counseling [PDF - 74 KB]
The informal counseling, or inquiry, is a critical phase of the complaint process. The primary goal of informal counseling is to seek opportunities for resolution of conflict.

If the informal counseling does not result in a resolution of the complaint, the EEO Counselor will perform a final interview with the Aggrieved Party and issue a Notice of Right to File a Formal Discrimination Complaint. You will have 15 days from the date you receive the Notice of Right to File to file a formal EEO complaint.

Where to send your Complaint

You may initiate an EEO complaint by contacting the appropriate Regional EEO Managers/ EEO Specialist for your work location. An EEO Counselor will be assigned to begin processing your EEO complaint.

Indian Health Service Headquarters employees can begin the processing of an EEO complaint by contacting via email: or contact a EEO Headquarters Staff member.