Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) Certification
Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) certification identifies forensic nurses who have achieved the highest standards in their specialty. All requirements set forth by the International Association of Forensic Nurses must be met before applying for certification. Although certification is not required to practice in Indian Health Service (IHS) facilities, the IHS encourages registered nurses to seek SANE certification. There is no SANE-equivalent certification for physicians or physician assistants.
All health care providers should follow the training requirements outlined in the Indian Health Manual (IHM) Chapter 29, Sexual Assault Policy. Please contact the Forensic Healthcare staff if you have questions about training requirements or SANE certification.
IHS Forensic Healthcare Listserv
The Forensic Healthcare LISTSERV is operated by the IHS Division of Behavioral Health. The list communicates IHS response efforts, policy updates, training and funding announcements, and provides technical assistance for sexual and domestic violence. To join, just add your name and email to IHS Forensic Healthcare LISTSERV.
Forensic Health Resources
- Forensic Healthcare Online– Created and run by a forensic nurse examiner with more than 20 years in the field, the site is a gateway to professional services, peer-reviewed literature, and free and low-cost education.
Intimate Partner Violence Resources
- 2010 Compilation of State Mandatory Reporting Laws for Domestic Violence [PDF - 782 KB]
- Mending the Sacred Hoop
- National Health Resource Center on Domestic Violence
- Violence Against Women, Office on Women's Health, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Compendium of State Statutes and Policies on Domestic Violence and Health Care (2010) [PDF - 1.3 MB]
- Mandatory Reporting of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault Statutes– National District Attorney's Association
- Violence Against American Indian and Alaska Native Women and Men, National Institute of Justice, May 2016 [PDF - 810 KB]
Sexual Assault Resources
- A National Protocol for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examinations: Adults/Adolescents [PDF - 893 KB] — U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women (Second Edition April 2013)
- A National Protocol for Sexual Abuse Medical Forensic Examinations Pediatric – U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women (April 2016)
- National Training Standards for Sexual Assault Medical Forensic Examiners [PDF - 1 MB]– U.S. Department of Justice Office on Violence Against Women (June 2006)
- SANE Program Development and Operation Guide– Office for Victims of Crime (OVC) (2016)
- National Clinicians' HIV Post-Exposure Prophylaxis Hotline
- CDC STD Treatment Guidelines