Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
Join a dynamic group of health care clinicians who have dedicated themselves to live and practice within American Indian or Alaska Native communities, serving an appreciative patient population.
You are eligible for the Indian Health Service (IHS) Loan Repayment Program (LRP) if you:
- Are a US citizen.
- Males 18 years or older must be registered for Selective Service.
- Have a health profession degree or are in your final year of academic/post-graduate clinical training.
- Have a valid license to practice. Health profession students in their final year of post-graduate clinical training/school are eligible to apply before obtaining a license. However, you are not eligible for an award until you provide proof of licensure.
- Are committed to practice at an Indian health facility.
- Can begin service on or before September 30 for two continuous years of full-time clinical practice.
If you accept an IHS LRP award, you cannot receive financial support from another government-funded program requiring the fulfillment of a service commitment that would run concurrently with your contracted LRP commitment. This includes, but is not limited to, scholarship and loan repayment programs through the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) and the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) , as well as scholarship support through the Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Programs and the IHS Scholarship Program.