Skip to site content

California Area Office logoCalifornia Area Office


Clinical Management
Scholarships and Grants

Clinical Management

How does the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA) for mental health make a difference?

The Indian Health Service has developed a set of GPRA performance indicators with annual and long-term goals to measure the progress of the mental health performance. These metrics are tied into the funding for each health program.

To see more frequently asked questions about this topic visit our Behavioral Health FAQ page.

What are the Indian Health Service Dental GPRA indicators?

The Oral Health Group of GPRA indicators are: #12 Fluoridated Water, #13 Dental Access, #14 Dental Sealants and #15 Diabetes: Dental Access.

To see more frequently asked questions about this topic visit our Dental FAQ page. 

What is the California area diabetes prevalence rate?

It is 13 percent (age adjusted prevalence of diagnosed diabetes among American Indians/Alaska Natives aged 20 years or older, 2004).

To see more frequently asked questions about this topic visit our Diabetes FAQ page. 

What is a Computerized Physician Order Entry (CPOE)?

CPOE allows authorized providers to prescribe medications, order lab tests, and radiology services, as well as retrieve results much more quickly than waiting on paper results to arrive.

To see more frequently asked questions about this topic visit our Electronic Health Record FAQ page. 

Why focus on Health Promotion and Disease Prevention?

Addressing lifestyle related diseases will help improve the health of California Indian people. Working together to improve modifiable conditions, such as activity level, food choices and tobacco usage will help. They may prevent the onset of such diseases as diabetes, cardiovascular disease and obesity, all leading causes of disability and death.

To see more frequently asked questions about this topic visit our Health Promotion FAQ page. 

How often do the CAIHS programs report data to the Immunization Coordinator?

The California Area Indian Health Service (CAIHS) provides data regarding childhood immunizations to Headquarters on a quarterly basis. The individual program reports are due to the Area Immunization Coordinator by the 20th day of the month following the end of each fiscal year quarter. You can access and download the reporting form from the Resources page.

To see more frequently asked questions about this topic visit our Immunization FAQ page. 

Who can I call for Resource & Patient Management System (RPMS) & Network assistance?

An end user at a Tribal or Urban health program should always contact their local IT support center / RPMS Site Manager first. Then if more assistance is needed, local IT or Site Manager should contact the OIT (Office of Information Technology) Staff at the CAIHS at (916) 930-3981 Ext. 353. If support is needed beyond what the California IT staff can provide, they will submit a trouble ticket with the National OIT helpdesk.

To see more frequently asked questions about this topic visit our Office of Information Technology FAQ page. 

What is the role of a nurse in the American Indian community?

To advance and strengthen the function and development of the nursing service administration within the California tribal and urban health care delivery settings.

To learn more about this topic visit our Nursing section

Back to top


How do I find out if I'm eligible for health services?

You can get eligibility information by contacting the Health Program closest to you, or by visiting the eligibility page. 

Who is a Registered Indian Patient?

An eligible Indian individual who has obtained health care services from an Indian health program at least once. 

Who is an Active Indian Patient?

An eligible Indian individual who resides in a designated community and who has obtained health care services from an Indian health program at least once during the past three years. 

Who is eligible to receive Sanitation Facilities Construction Program Services?

Please visit the Eligibility section of our website for more information. 

Is there a list of federally recognized tribes?

There are 566 tribal entities recognized and eligible for funding and services from the Bureau of Indian Affairs by virtue of their status as Indian tribes. A current list of these tribes are listed in the Federal RegisterExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving

How do I find out about my American Indian ancestry?

A place to begin your search can be found at  Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving

Do I qualify for Contract Health Services?

You can find out more about these services by going to the Health Programs section of the website called, Contract Health Eligibility Requirements.

How does a health program access information on Catastrophic Emergency Health Fund?

Visit the Benefits section of the website. A detailed document is available for you to download, full of important information.

Back to top


What kind of services can I receive?

Most facilities provide general medical, dental, behavioral health, and outreach services. In addition, alcohol and substance abuse services are provided at a few facilities. 

How do I find an Indian clinic near where I live?

Visit the Health Program section of the website and you will find a variety of ways to seek a clinic nearby. You can click on the state map; choose a listing of all the programs in California; or even search by keyword of a location near you. Once you find the clinic near you, a map will reveal the clinic's location.

Back to top



How do I find out about employment opportunities with California Area Indian Health Service?

All California IHS vacancies are listed in the IHS jobs database at and at the general U.S. government jobs website  Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving We also mail copies of our vacancy announcement to each tribal office and health facility in the state of California.

I am a health professional (doctor, nurse, dentist, etc.) and want to work in California. Are there many IHS jobs in the medical profession?

Indian Health Service does not directly operate any hospitals or clinics in California. All those services are provided through tribal and/or contract facilities. As a result, IHS employs very few health professional directly. Those that do work for us are in consultative roles, providing advice or oversight to the facilities that do provide direct care. 

How do I find out about jobs with the tribal/contract health facilities that provide care to Native Americans in California?

These facilities recruit and hire independently. They are all allowed to list their jobs in the IHS database at, but many do not. The best way to find out about how they advertise openings and what opportunities exist is to contact them directly. You can find a list of these facilities as well as addresses and telephone numbers on this website under Health Programs.

Back to top

Scholarships and Grants

Where can I find more information on scholarships?

The California Area has a scholarship section. Go to Scholarship Program. The Indian Health Service website has a comprehensive section that will help you also. Go to IHS Scholarship

Is there a website that features information on grants?

Visit   Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving It allows organizations to electronically find and apply for competitive grant opportunities from all Federal grant-making agencies. is the single access point for over 1000 grant programs offered by the 26 Federal grant-making agencies.

Back to top


Can disabled users access this site?

This website is in full compliance with Section 508 of the Americans with Disabilities Act. For more information about Section 508 standards, please visit the U.S. General Services Administration's Section 508 Information.   Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving

How do I open documents once I download them?

Most materials on this website are presented in PDF format. Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view PDF files. If you do not already have Acrobat Reader you may download it at  Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving

Where can I find clinical FAQs for professionals?

The Offices section has a wealth of information for professionals, including FAQs for professionals working with Diabetes and Immunizations.

Back to top