Skip to site content

Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives

Scroll To Top
Share This Page:


Funding Opportunities

Photo of a man and woman standing at a conference.

IHS Division of Grants Management

The IHS Division of Grants Management solicits, awards and administers grants and cooperative agreements, and provides guidance, financial management and technical assistance to all IHS grantee recipients.

Grants.govExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving provides a centralized location for grant seekers to find and apply for federal funding opportunities.

Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)

The Health Resources and Services AdministrationExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving provides loans, loan repayment programs, scholarships, and grants toward health profession training programs to prepare workers to care for underserved people.

The National Health Service Corps (NHSC)

The National Health Service CorpsExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving offers financial and other support to primary care providers and sites in underserved communities with limited access to care.

Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)

The Agency for Healthcare Research and QualityExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, has a funding pageExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving with announcements for grants that support research to improve the quality, effectiveness, accessibility, and cost effectiveness of health care.

Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — Grants Announcements and Awards

SAMHSA's Grants pageExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving lists requirements for applying for new grants and information on continuing grants through


Information about and links to laws concerning AI/AN tribes and populations may be found on the IHS Legislation page.

Patient Resources

Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS)

The Tribal Affairs Group of the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services' American Indian/Alaskan CenterExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving serves as both consultant and advisor to the CMS on AI/AN/Tribal/Tribal Technical Advisory Group (TTAG) issues and the liaison between CMS and AI/AN communities.

National Indian Health Outreach and Education Initiative (NIHOE)

The tribalhealthcare.orgExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving website, from the National Indian Health Outreach and Education Initiative , assists AI/ANs consumers understand rights and opportunities under the Affordable Care (ACA) and Indian Health Care Improvement (IHCIA) acts.

Healthcare.govExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving offers specific information about protections and exemptions to the Affordable Healthcare ActExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving for federally recognized tribes, and those of Indian descent or who are otherwise eligible for services from the IHS, a tribal program, or urban Indian health program.

MentalHealth.govExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving provides one-stop access to mental health information from the U.S. government.

Mental Health and Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

SAMHSA provides the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Treatment Facility LocatorExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving resource for locating State certified, licensed, or approved mental health and drug and alcohol abuse treatment programs at private and public facilities, and treatment facilities administered by the Department of Veterans Affairs, the Indian Health Service, and the Department of Defense.

IHS Find Health Care Treatment Locator

Find Health Care, IHS's treatment locator, is a searchable map that can be used to find Indian Health Service, Tribal or Urban Indian Health Program facilities.

Provider Resources

National Guide Clearinghouse (NGC)

The National Guide ClearinghouseExit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving, an initiative of the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ)Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, is a source for health professionals and others for obtaining objective, detailed information on clinical practice guidelines.

National Council of Chief Clinical Consultants (CCC)

The mission of The National Council of Chief Clinical Consultants (NC4)Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving, the organization of the Chief Clinical Consultants of the United States Indian Health Service, is to improve AI/AN Peoples' health and wellness by providing experienced, expert medical discipline and specialty support to IHS and those involved in AI/AN health care.

Resource and Patient Management System (RPMS)

The Resource and Patient Management System, developed and designed specifically for the Indian healthcare system, is a decentralized integrated solution for management of both clinical and administrative information in IHS healthcare facilities. The training component of RPMS offers e-learning, hands-on/e-learning, classroom, and satellite classroom courses, including those in Behavioral Health. Training is open to those affiliated with Indian Health Service, Tribal, or Urban Indian health program facilities in the U.S.

SAHMSA Prevention Training and Technical Assistance

SAMHSA's Collaborative for the Application of Prevention Technologies (CAPT)Exit Disclaimer: You Are Leaving, a national substance abuse prevention training and technical assistance system, is dedicated to strengthening the nation’s prevention systems and behavioral health workforce.

IHS Pain Management

Created for clinical personnel and patients, the Indian Health Service’s Pain Management website includes information, best practices, policies, and procedures about managing chronic pain, including prescribing opioids while preventing their illegal or harmful use.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) addresses the public health problem caused by violence, including intimate partner violence, on their Violence Prevention site.