Sites with Health Education Programs
Patient Education Handouts
The IHS maintains a website of locally developed and culturally relevant, printable patient education handouts on a wide variety of diseases and topics.
Documenting Patient Education
Training materials and presentations to promote appropriate documentation of health and patient education:
- Documenting Physical Activity and Exercise Education [PPT - 2.5 MB]
- Documenting Health/Patient Education using the IHS Patient Education Protocols and Codes (PEPC) [PPT - 2.2 MB]
- Health and Patient Education and GPRA: Putting the Pieces Together - GPRA and CRS [PPT - 1.2 MB]
- Health and Patient Education and 2011 JCAHO [WORD - 262 KB]
- Self-Management [PDF - 552 MB]
Physical Activity and Exercise Toolkit
- Physical Activity and Exercise Toolkit [WORD - 171 KB]
Providing Education on Breastfeeding
- Many pregnant women are not encouraged to breastfeed their babies. As health providers, we need to encourage more mothers to breastfeed. As soon as a woman begins her prenatal care, breastfeeding education should be provided consistently and continuously during prenatal visits. Learn more from the Breastfeeding Toolkit
Health Communications and Health Literacy
- Effective communication with patients is essential for providing information and education. Learn more about ways to improve healthcare communications between patients and healthcare workers as well as important health literacy concerns at the IHS Health Communications web site.