Indian Health Service The Federal Health Program for American Indians and Alaska Natives
Quality Health Care at IHS
Our patients are our first priority. The IHS Quality Framework aims to develop, implement and sustain an effective quality program that improves patient experience and outcomes; strengthens organizational capacity and ensures the delivery of reliable, high quality health care for IHS direct service facilities.
- Letter to Tribal Leaders [PDF - 670 KB]: Introducing our Quality Framework
New Diabetes Prevention and Healthy Heart Toolkits Available
The IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention announces the release of the Special Diabetes Program for Indians Diabetes Prevention and Healthy Heart Toolkits. The online toolkits will help Native communities implement local programs to prevent diabetes and reduce cardiovascular disease risk.
- Diabetes Prevention Program Toolkit
- Healthy Heart Toolkit
- Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
Fostering Healthier Generations
September is National Childhood Obesity Awareness Month
Childhood obesity is a major public health issue and an indicator of future risk for developing chronic diseases, such as diabetes. Providing access to nutritious foods and helping them make healthy choices gives children the chance to have healthier futures.
Promote physical activity and healthful eating to maintain healthy weights and work towards preventing childhood obesity in your community.
- Find resources, such as youth posters, from the IHS Division of Diabetes.
- Learn more about activities and opportunities from the Let's Move! in Indian Country website .
IHS is a leader in Telehealth
Telehealth uses electronic communication to provide health care, with patient appointments provided remotely. A nurse or assistant in the room with the patient often supplements telehealth consultations with specialists. IHS finds telehealth is one of the best ways to get health care services where they are needed most.
- Telebehavioral Health
- IHS Network Teleophthalmology Program
- Indian Health Service awards $6.8 million telemedicine services contract to Avera Health
find Health Care
Find a health care facility near you
begin Your Career
Search available jobs at IHS