Tribal Injury Prevention Cooperative Agreement Program (TIPCAP)
The Indian Health Service provides funding for tribes to develop their infrastructure in injury prevention to address the disparity in injury rates throughout American Indian and Alaska Native communities.
- Established in 1997, TIPCAP began to provide funding through a competitive process
- Grantees awarded multi-year funding to hire a full-time Injury Prevention Coordinator and develop programs based on effective strategies or best practices
- Collaboration with the awardees allows IHS to provide technical guidance in program development, implementation, evaluation, training and resource development
Grantees are categorized in two programs:
- Part I grantees are federally recognized tribes, or tribal/urban organizations funded to implement and develop an injury prevention program within their community/service area. Part I awardees receive up to $125,000/year for 5 years and which includes the hiring of a fulltime Injury Prevention Coordinator.
- Part II grantees are federally recognized tribes, tribal/urban organizations funded to develop injury prevention projects that are evidence-based or innovative strategies. These sites are awarded up to $32,000/year for 5 years.
The IHS Injury Prevention Program has funded more than 110 grantees since 1997. The lessons learned over the years has helped shape the program to foster new ideas, best practices and overcome many challenges with continued benefit to reducing injuries at AI/AN communities. The current TIPCAP grantees will be working to address injuries related to motor vehicle crashes, elder falls, traumatic brain injuries, suicide, poisoning prevention, and data collection. The TIPCAP grantees employ effective strategies in collaboration with key partners to target specific injury risk and hazards. TIPCAP grantees receive technical assistance from the Centers for AI/AN Health , Colorado School of Public Health.
- TIPCAP Program Description [PDF - 316 KB]
- Injury Prevention Evidence-based Strategies [PDF - 850 KB]
- Injury Prevention Program Planning [PDF - 812 KB]
- 20 Years of TIPCAP [PDF - 2.34 MB] and Infographic [PDF - 109 KB]
- TIPCAP Program Guide 2023 [PDF- 3.3 MB]
- TIPCAP Resource Guide 2023
[PDF - 287 KB]
- TIPCAP and Child Passenger Safety Week highlighted on IHS Facebook and Twitter site