May - ICD-10 UPDATE
Margo Kerrigan, M.P.H, Area Director
Indian Health Service California Area Office
With enactment of the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014, CMS is examining the implications of the ICD-10 provision and will provide guidance to providers and stakeholders soon. This provision in the statute reads as follows: “The Secretary of Health and Human Services may not, prior to October 1, 2015, adopt ICD-10 code sets as the standard for codes sets under section 1173 (c) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 1320d-2 (c)) and section 162.1002 of title 45, Code of Federal Regulations.”
With that in mind, we don’t want to slow down in getting prepared for ICD-10.
Resources available to help ease the transition:
ICD-10 Coding Basics MLN Connects™ Video
In this MLN Connects™ video on ICD-10 Coding Basics (YouTube.com), Sue Bowman from the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) provides a basic introduction to ICD-10 coding, including:
- Similarities and differences from ICD-9
- ICD-10 code structure
- Coding process and examples
- 7th Character
- Placeholder "x"
- Excludes notes
- Unspecified codes
- External cause codes
CMS ICD-10 eHealth Provider Webinar
CMS covered ICD-10 as part of the biweekly eHealth Provider Webinar series on November 10. The PowerPoint presentation and webinar recording (livemeeting.com) for the presentation “Less Than One Year Until ICD-10: Steps Your Practice Can Take to Prepare” are available from CMS.
These resources include:
- An Online ICD-10 Guide (implementicd10.noblis.org), which is a web-based tool that provides step-by-step guidance on how to transition to ICD-10 for small practices, large practices, small hospitals, and payers.
- ICD-10 implementation guides, which provide detailed information for planning and executing the ICD-10 transition. The downloadable PDF versions are available below:
- Small and Medium Practices ICD-10 Transition Checklist (PDF)
- Provider Resources (PDF)
- Payer Resources (PDF)
Talk Ten Tuesday Podcasts
CMS participates in the ICD-10 Monitor’s Talk Ten Tuesday podcasts. Visit the Talk Ten Tuesday website (icd10monitor.com) to listen to past presentations from CMS including:
- December 17, 2013: ICD-10: Looking Ahead
- October 1, 2013: ICD-10: This Time Next Year
- March 26, 2013: CMS: Helping the Industry Prepare for ICD-10
- March 7, 2013: HIMSS Week Day 3: Live from New Orleans
- February 12, 2013: CMS Pilot for End-to-End Testing: It Takes a Village
NOTE: All Adobe Acrobat (PDF) files reside on non-IHS.gov websites