As a result of the current Federal government funding situation, the information on this website may not be up to date or acted upon. Updates regarding government operating status and resumption of normal operations can be found at www.opm.gov . Despite the lapse in appropriations, IHS will continue to provide direct clinical health care services as well as referrals for contracted services that cannot be provided through IHS clinics. For more information on how IHS is impacted, visit: HHS Contingency Plan
Pharmacists at Crownpoint Healthcare Facility practice in a true pharmaceutical care environment where they fully utilize their knowledge and skills. Indian Health Service Pharmacy has pioneered many progressive and innovative advances over the past thirty years. Pharmacists have access to the patient's entire health record including laboratory results, immunization status, and past medical history, to assess the appropriateness of drug therapy. In outpatient settings, problems are resolved with providers prior to dispensing medications, and all patients are counseled on their medication therapy.
In the hospital setting, services provided include IV admixtures, pharmacokinetic consultation, drug information, and patient discharge medication counseling.
The cultural experience of working with Native Americans and the satisfaction of being an integral part of the health care team provides a professional experience that is unique to the Indian Health Service.
The Pharmacy Department staff consists of pharmacists, pharmacy technicians, and medical support assistant. Pharmacists are responsible for:
- The selection, procurement, preparation, and dispensing of medications
- Patient education on the safe and effective use of medications
- Reviewing drug therapy for inpatients and outpatients for safety, appropriateness, and effectiveness
- Providing drug information to clinical staff
- Managing an anticoagulation service and dialysis refill service
Technicians are responsible for:
- Performing technical processes in dispensing prescriptions
- Reviewing orders to determine appropriate medications, directions, and quantities to be dispensed
- Participating in ongoing quality improvement activities
- Performing inspections of all drug storage areas to verify that adequate stocks are on hand, storage conditions meet specifications, and drugs are within expiration dates, including correction of any problems found
- Placing orders to wholesalers and prime vendors, receipt and placement of incoming orders into inventory with appropriate documentation
- Determine the urgency of requests for drugs when ordering so that supplies are available as needed
Several of our staff members speak the Navajo language, to assist with our Navajo language speaking patient population.
We fill orders for medications prescribed by physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants who are credentialed at Crownpoint Healthcare Facility. We accept refill requests via telephone or on a walk-in basis.
Hours of operation:
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
8:00 AM to 8:30 PM
1:00 PM to 8:30 PM
Closed every Wednesday morning for administrative time
Please request refills before 5:00 PM.
Direct line: 505-786-6344
Pharmacy chief: 505-786-6345
Please check IHS JobVacancies if you are interested in working with us.