Kidney Health Resources
Learn how Chronic Kidney Disease or CKD can be prevented and treated. You can print documents, order materials for free, or get information from websites.
For Patients and Community Members
Learn About Kidney Disease
For Tribal Health Leaders
For Clinicians and Diabetes Educators
Diabetes educators in the Indian health system often provide education to those with diabetes complications, including kidney disease. To help diabetes educators learn the essentials of chronic kidney disease, the National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP) has developed a four-module training program in partnership with the American Association of Diabetes Educators (AADE).
NKDEP is a program of the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases at the National Institutes of Health and was established to help address the challenges related to treatment of kidney disease.
This 5-hour course is designed for diabetes educators, including RNs, RDs, Pharmacists, Nurse Practitioners, Clinical Nurse Specialists, Physician Assistants, MDs, and other health care providers interested in staying up to date on current practices of care for their patients with diabetes.
Continuing Education credits (5 CEs) are available from AADE for a fee: $95 members / $145 non-members. The course is also available at no cost through NKDEP; however does not provide CE credit.
– To take the course without CE credit at no cost, visit the NKDEP's Professional Education website.
– To take the course and earn CE credit for a fee, visit the AADE Self-paced Online Course.
The online training includes the following modules:
- Module 1 – Identify Diabetic Kidney Disease (DKD)
- Module 2 – Slowing Progression of Kidney Disease
- Module 3 – Complications
- Module 4 – Kidney Failure Treatment, Patient Education, and Course Summary
- National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP) – Basic information about chronic kidney disease (CKD) most commonly caused by diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – CKD Resources
- National Kidney Foundation
- Kidney School™