IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
The IHS Division of Diabetes provides information and resources to strengthen clinical, public health, and community approaches to diabetes treatment and prevention throughout the United States. The Division also plays a central role in managing and supporting the Special Diabetes Program for Indians (SDPI) by:
- Translating and disseminating the latest science to Indian Health Service, Tribal, and Urban Indian health programs across the country;
- Providing training on diabetes science and SDPI program management;
- Facilitating the sharing of information and expertise among health care professionals and Tribal communities;
- Supporting grant program efforts to use best practices in diabetes treatment and prevention; and,
- Providing essential clinical data for program planning and improvement through the Diabetes Care and Outcomes Audit.
Above all, the Division continues to build strong partnerships with American Indian and Alaska Native communities in a common effort to turn the tide of the diabetes epidemic. Together, we are working to create a healthier future for American Indian and Alaska Native people.
The Indian Health Service (IHS) Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention is responsible for developing, documenting, and sustaining clinical and public health efforts to treat and prevent diabetes in American Indians and Alaska Natives.
Indian Health Service
Office of Clinical and Preventive Services/Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
5600 Fishers Lane, Mailstop 08N34A
Rockville, Maryland 20857
Phone: 1-844-IHS-DDTP (1-844-447-3387)
Email: Division of Diabetes
IHS Division of Diabetes Staff Directory
Kerry Houlihan, MA
Congress established the IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention in 1979 in response to the emerging epidemic of diabetes in American Indian and Alaska Native communities. Formerly called the IHS National Diabetes Program, the mission of the IHS Division of Diabetes is to develop, document, and sustain clinical and public health efforts to treat and prevent diabetes in American Indians and Alaska Natives.
The IHS Division of Diabetes provides services and support for: