Nutrition / Dietitian Update - March 2, 2019
Here are a few updates, including our most current contact list.
- Please take a look at our contact list (pdf) is attached, and let me know if any changes or corrections are needed. Also, please let me know if someone else should be added from your organization in addition to you or to replace you...because updating our contact list this time was a bit more complicated by needing to use a few distribution.
- The annual California Medical Best Practices Conference will take place in Sacramento at the Holiday Inn Downtown May 20-22, 2019, followed by California Diabetes Day May 23, 2019. As in prior years the topics covered will be diverse, with many applicable nutritional aspects of patient care. CPEU will be provided, for sessions such historical grief & trauma, improving no-show rates, domestic violence/intimate partner violence, integrating behavioral health with primary care, immunizations, pediatric endocrinology, motivational interviewing, and much more! The Indian Health Service encourages healthcare programs to send clinic teams, including dietitians and those who provide nutrition education. Register at no cost is at: https://2019medconf.eventbrite.com/ To reserve guest rooms at the Holiday Inn Sacramento Downtown – Arena call (916) 446-0100 and mention group code QIH. Group rate available for reservations made prior to Friday, April 5, 2019. See conference flyer is attached.
- A few items to help us in celebrating of National Nutrition Month.
- “Food is the building block for life itself, it determines our health and it is decisive for the health of our planet”, Dr. Dr. Gunhild Stordalen
- Four upcoming Live Free CME/CE Webinars from DDTP, to register and for more information visit: https://www.ihs.gov/diabetes/training/cmece-online-edu/diabetes-online-cme-ce-education/#ULOE
- March 8th, Macronutrients and Health: A Progress Report – Presented by, Walter Willett MD, MPH, DrPH
- March 13th, Starting the Conversation: Basic Nutrition Education for the Non-RD – Presented by, Kelli Begay MS MBA RDN and Dianna Richter RD MPH CDE
- March 20th, The Role of Diabetes Educators, Dietitians, and Other Diabetes Care Team Members in Quality Improvement – Presented by, Annie Edleman, RDN, LD, CDE
- March 27th, Optimizing Care for the Food Insecure Patient – Presented by, Hilary Seligman, MD, MAS
- Interesting reading on what is happening internationally, that shows how across the globe those in the know about nutrition are coming together with one voice.
- Food in the Anthropocene: the EAT–Lancet at: https://www.thelancet.com/commissions/EAT
- The Global Syndemic of Obesity, Undernutrition, and Climate Change: The Lancet Commission report at: https://www.thelancet.com/commissions/global-syndemic
- The Healthy Eating Plate, created Walter Willet and other nutrition experts at, was designed to address deficiencies in the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA)’s MyPlate. The Healthy Eating Plate provides detailed guidance, in a simple format, to help people make the best eating choices. **Walter Willets is one of those involved in Lancet’s EAT Initiative. More information is at: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-eating-plate/
- Instructions on how to join the IHS CAO Nutrition / Dietitian portal.
Beverly A. Calderon, MS, RD, CDE
California Area Indian Health Service
Health Promotion Disease Prevention
and Nutrition Consultant
1320 W. Valley Parkway Suite 309
Escondido, CA 92029
Phone: (760) 735-6884
Fax: (760) 735-6893