Aspirin or Other Antiplatelet Therapy in Cardiovascular Disease
Antiplatelet therapy reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) events in patients who have known CVD.
Required Key Measure
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who are prescribed aspirin or other antiplatelet therapy.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group* from adults with BOTH diabetes and CVD.
* Exclude pregnant individuals.
You are required to report Required Key Measure data for one Target Group for your selected Best Practice. A Target Group is the largest number of patients/participants that your grant program can realistically serve. The following should be considered in selecting your Target Group:
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
For information and examples on selecting a Target Group, see the SDPI Diabetes Best Practice and Target Group recorded webinar.
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
- Diabetes Standards of Care & Clinical Practice Resources: Aspirin or Other Antiplatelet Therapy
- SDPI Toolkits
American Diabetes Association
- American Diabetes Association. 10. Cardiovascular disease and risk management: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2021 Diabetes Care 2021;44(Suppl.1):S125-S150. doi:10.2337/dc21-S010