Hepatitis C Screening
Hepatitis C is a leading cause of chronic hepatitis, cirrhosis, and liver cancer. Early detection provides the opportunity for a cure with proper treatment.
Required Key Measure
Must be reported by grantees that select this Best Practice.
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who have ever been screened for Hepatitis C (HCV)* or were ever diagnosed with HCV.
*Screening is performed using the Hepatitis C antibody (anti-HCV) test.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group from adults with diabetes 18 years of age and older.
You are required to report Required Key Measure data for one Target Group for your selected Best Practice. A Target Group is the largest number of patients/participants that your grant program can realistically serve. The following should be considered in selecting your Target Group:
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
For information and examples on selecting a Target Group, see the SDPI Diabetes Best Practice and Target Group recorded webinar.
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
Indian Health Service
- Diabetes Standards of Care and Resources for Clinicians and Educators: Hepatitis C Screening
- Guidelines for Screening, Management and Pre-Treatment Work-Up for Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Within IHS, Tribal and Urban Indian Healthcare Facilities [PDF – 316KB]
- IHS blog (May 17, 2019): Hepatitis C Testing
- IHS Blog (May 19, 2017): Hepatitis C in Indian Country
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
U.S. Preventive Services Task Force