Immunizations: Hepatitis B
People with diabetes are at increased risk of contracting several vaccine-preventable infections, including hepatitis B. Vaccination helps reduce the risk of developing hepatitis B disease in patients who are exposed.
Required Key Measure
Must be reported by grantees that select this Best Practice.
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who have ever completed the hepatitis B vaccine series (using either a 2 or 3 dose series depending on vaccine type) or who are immune to Hepatitis B.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group from adults and/or youth with diabetes.
You are required to report Required Key Measure data for one Target Group for your selected Best Practice. A Target Group is the largest number of patients/participants that your grant program can realistically serve. The following should be considered in selecting your Target Group:
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
For information and examples on selecting a Target Group, see the SDPI Diabetes Best Practice and Target Group recorded webinar.
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
Indian Health Service
- Indian Health Service National Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee Formulary Brief: Heplisav-B vaccine [PDF – 269 KB]
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Immunization Recommendations for Adults
- Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices for Use of a Hepatitis B Vaccine with a Novel Adjuvant
- Universal Hepatitis B Vaccination in Adults Aged 19–59 Years: Updated Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices — United States, 2022
Immunize.org (formerly Immunization Action Coalition)