Eye Exam - Retinopathy Screening
People with diabetes are at risk for developing retinopathy. Screening for retinopathy allows for early detection and management to reduce the risk of vision loss.
Required Key Measure
Must be reported by grantees that select this Best Practice.
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who receive an eye exam.*
* An eye exam includes a dilated eye exam by an optometrist or ophthalmologist or by using digital retinal imaging.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group from adults and/or youth with diabetes.
You are required to report Required Key Measure data for one Target Group for your selected Best Practice. A Target Group is the largest number of patients/participants that your grant program can realistically serve. The following should be considered in selecting your Target Group:
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
For information and examples on selecting a Target Group, see the SDPI Diabetes Best Practice and Target Group recorded webinar.
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
Indian Health Service
- Joslin Vision Network Teleophthalmology Program
- Diabetes Standards of Care & Clinical Practice Resources: Eye Care
American Diabetes Association
National Eye Institute
National Diabetes Education Program