Good glycemic control, as measured by A1C, reduces the risk of diabetes complications.
Required Key Measure
Must be reported by grantees that select this Best Practice.
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group with most recent A1C <8.0%.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group* from adults and/or youth with diabetes.
* Exclude pregnant individuals.
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
- Diabetes Education Lesson Plan: Taking Medications [PDF – 589 KB]
- Diabetes Standards of Care and Resources for Clinicians and Educators: Glycemic Control
- Glucose Management in Type 2 Diabetes Algorithm
- SDPI Diabetes Healthy Heart Toolkit: Module 3: Implement a Healthy Heart Program
- Recorded CME/CE Webinars:
- Management of Complex Diabetes Cases
- Non-Insulin Medications for Hyperglycemia Treatment in Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Update: Roles and Benefits of SGLT-2 Inhibitors and GLP-1 Agonists
- Helping Your Patient with Diabetes: Engagement and Communication Strategies to Optimize Your Approach
- Insulin Management
American Diabetes Association
- American Diabetes Association. 6. Glycemic Targets: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2022
Diabetes Care 2022;45(Suppl.1):S83-S96. doi:10.2337/dc22-S006
- American Diabetes Association. 9. Pharmacologic Approaches to Glycemic Treatment: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2022
Diabetes Care 2022;45(Suppl.1):S125-S143. doi:10.2337/dc22-S009
- The Big Picture: Checking Your Blood Sugar