Lipid Management in Cardiovascular Disease
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is a major cause of morbidity and mortality for individuals with diabetes. Appropriate use of statin therapy results in significant CVD risk reduction for adults with diabetes.
Required Key Measure
Must be reported by grantees that select this Best Practice.
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who are prescribed a statin.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group* from adults ages 40-75 years with diabetes and individuals of any age who have BOTH diabetes and CVD.
* People who are pregnant or have a statin allergy, intolerance, or contraindication should NOT be included in the Target Group.
You are required to report Required Key Measure data for one Target Group for your selected Best Practice. A Target Group is the largest number of patients/participants that your grant program can realistically serve. The following should be considered in selecting your Target Group:
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
For information and examples on selecting a Target Group, see the SDPI Diabetes Best Practice and Target Group recorded webinar.
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association
- 2018 AHA/ACC Guideline on the Management of Blood Cholesterol
Circulation Nov 2018; doi:10.1161/CIR.0000000000000625
American Diabetes Association
- American Diabetes Association. 10. Cardiovascular disease and risk management: Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes 2021 Diabetes Care 2021;44(Suppl.1):S125-S150. doi:10.2337/dc21-S010