Diabetes education helps reduce the risk for developing diabetes and its complications.
Required Key Measure
Must be reported by grantees that select this Best Practice.
Number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who receive education on any diabetes topic*, either in a group or individual setting.
* Includes nutrition education, physical activity education, and any other diabetes education.
- Improvement: Increasing the number and percent of individuals in your Target Group who achieve this measure shows improvement.
- Timeframe: The timeframe for collecting data on the Required Key Measure will be January 1st to December 31st.
- Data Collection: For more information on data collection and reporting, see the SDPI Outcomes System (SOS).
Target Group Guidance
Select your Target Group from adults and/or youth with diabetes and/or at risk for developing diabetes.
You are required to report Required Key Measure data for one Target Group for your selected Best Practice. A Target Group is the largest number of patients/participants that your grant program can realistically serve. The following should be considered in selecting your Target Group:
- The size and characteristics (e.g., ages, health status, settings) of the community or patient population that you are going to draw your Target Group from
- Intensity of the activities/services you plan to do
- SDPI funding and other resources available to provide activities/services
For information and examples on selecting a Target Group, see the SDPI Diabetes Best Practice and Target Group recorded webinar.
Resources and Tools
Below are selected resources and tools specific to this Best Practice. Additional resources that may be useful for all Best Practices can be found in the SDPI Best Practice Resources.
IHS Division of Diabetes Treatment and Prevention
- Diabetes Education Lesson Plans
- Diabetes Standards of Care and Resources for Clinicians and Educators: Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support
- Education Materials and Resources (Online Catalog)
- Integrating Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support Into your SDPI Best Practice [PDF – 275 KB]
- SDPI Diabetes Healthy Heart Toolkit: Module 3: Implement a Healthy Heart Program
- SDPI Diabetes Prevention Toolkit: Module 3: Implement a Diabetes Prevention Program
- Tipping the Motivational Balance for Change
- Recorded CME/CE Webinars:
- An All-of-Government Approach to Diabetes Prevention and Control: Report from the 2022 Federal Diabetes Commission
- An Overview of "On the TRAIL to Diabetes Prevention"
- Case Management: Practicing Population Health to Engage Patients as Partners in Care
- Changing the Language of Diabetes
- Diabetes Prevention Strategies: Evidence, Experiences, and Outcomes
- Diabetes Motivational Interviewing in Integrated Care Settings
- Health Coaching: Practitioner Perspectives in Improving Health Outcomes
- Helping Your Patient with Diabetes: Engagement and Communication Strategies to Optimize Your Approach
- Insulin Resistance: Explanations and Treatment Approaches
- Managing Diabetes in Children
- Motivational Interviewing: Assisting Patients with Self-Directed Health Decisions
- Native Nutrition Principles and Menus Inspired by the Ancestors
- Navigating Insulin Pumps and Continuous Glucose Monitors for Improved Diabetes Management
- Optimizing Care for Patients with Food Insecurity
- Post-acute Sequelae of COVID (Long COVID)
- Results from the 2023 IHS Diabetes Care and Outcomes Audit
- Telenutrition for Diabetes Prevention and Management
- The Impact of Social Determinants of Health on Type 2 Diabetes in Indigenous Communities
- The Medical Neighborhood: Connecting Care to Improve Health Outcomes
- The National Health Coach Pilot Project
- Using Everyday Words to Communicate Health and Wellness
Indian Health Service
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- American Indian/Alaska Native Communities Prevent Type 2 Diabetes
- Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support (DSMES) Toolkit
- Information for Health Care Professionals: Diabetes Education, Tools,and Resources
- Native Diabetes Wellness Program
American Diabetes Association
- American Diabetes Association. 5. Facilitating Positive Health Behaviors and Well-being to Improve Health Outcomes: Standards of Care in Diabetes 2023 Diabetes Care 2023;46(Suppl. 1):S68-96. doi:10.2337/dc23-S005
- American Diabetes Association. 15. Management of Diabetes in Pregnancy: Standards of Care in Diabetes 2023 Diabetes Care 2023;46(Suppl. 1):S254-S266. doi:10.2337/dc23-S015
- Diabetes Self-Management Education & Support in Diabetes: A Consensus Report
- 2022 National Standards for Diabetes Self-Management Education and Support
Association of Diabetes Care & Education Specialists